Reporter – La Voz
- Phoenix, AZ
Phoenix, AZ, USA Req #11481
Monday, August 31, 2020
Reporter - La Voz
The Arizona Republic/lavozarizona.com part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking an innovative, engaged bilingual reporter to work with us on engagement and digital innovation efforts on La Voz and the Arizona Republic.
A reporter at the Arizona Republic / La Voz works as part of our audience innovation team to engage with and produce content for our off-platform efforts. They are the eyes and ears of the newsroom to our large and state-wide audience and will connect our English-speaking and Spanish-speaking efforts.
They will interact with other reporters, producers and editors to engage with audiences and tell the story of Arizona's rich communities. They are also an audience champion, distilling analytics and lessons from various platforms like newsletters and other emerging platforms. You will work with a small team to write, produce and distribute stories from our newsroom to a wider audience. You should be comfortable with flexing different skillsets and be a bit of a generalist with an interest in learning new storytelling formats.
A great producer will have an interest in distributing the driven, timely and investigative work produced by The Arizona Republic to existing and new audiences. We are looking for someone who wants to understand what is interesting to our audiences and how we can form better connections with them. An ideal candidate can write with a strong voice, and is particularly interested in working with immigrant, inclusive and Spanish-speaking communities.
- Work with teams across the newsroom to create content using the best storytelling techniques and capitalize on a typical news consumer's usage and news habits.
- Write, produce and publish news that matters to our audience.
- Run a new audience focused newsletter, focused on Spanish-speaking audiences.
- Engage with and be an advocate for stories on underserved communities.
- Create unique content that our audience can't get anywhere else.
- Pitch and run creative relevant engagement and reporting projects.
- Bachelor's or master's in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 1 years' reporting/newsroom experience.
- excellent news judgment and communication skills, comfort using a variety of digital tools and a willingness to experiment with new approaches.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- A desire to grow and develop a key beat in our newsrooms.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- Candidates who are bilingual is a must.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Pre-employment background check and urinalysis drug screen required.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume - one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top