Reporter I - Breaking News & Social Media Trends
Shreveport, LA, USA Req #5362
Thursday, October 11, 2018
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal and SweetIQ, and U.K. media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
Reporter I - Breaking News & Social Media Trends
The Shreveport Times in Shreveport, Louisiana, a part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is hiring a reporter to break news for digital audiences and deploy to the scene to cover stories as they develop via social media and mobile platforms. Along with breaking news, this reporter will develop quick-turn enterprise stories off the news and discover what is trending on social media. We're looking for a 21st-century journalist to roll fast on breaking news and to tap quickly into the talk of the town.
Our ideal candidate won't only get the first scoop: This reporter will have ideas about how to connect breaking stories about crime, fires, traffic, celebrities or quirky and notable news events to larger discussions about big issues including immigration, the environment, the economy, poverty, local history, and the future of our communities.
You must be a newshound, writer and videographer. You must understand how to tap into via social media and other means what's abuzz in our community. You must understand story in the classic sense, as plot, character development, conflict and resolution. You must tell every story in multiple dimensions, from words to video. You must understand that creating narrative and multimedia content is only half the job, and that the other half is being entrepreneurial in assertively putting your content in front of consumers via social channels. You must have experience in social media and have a strong social voice. You must permit consumer feedback, including metrics, to guide decisions and you must be flexible.
The Shreveport Times | shreveporttimes.com is a Gannett media company and is part of the USA Today Network. We work from a newly remodeled office atop a downtown office tower, with a 360-degree view of our market and state-of-the-art digital storytelling tools.
Shreveport and Bossier City, which anchor our market, are in northwest Louisiana, with many opportunities for outdoor activities and a thriving arts and entertainment scene. The local LA Film Prize, offering $50,000 to a winning film short, has attracted many budding filmmakers. We're an easy drive from Dallas, New Orleans and Houston.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Works toward becoming the community's leading voice in area of expertise.
- Serve as a public ambassador for our brand through community outreach andconnecting with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Works with content strategist to evaluate what's working and what's not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience. We are open to recent college graduates if you have a few strong internships under your belt.
- Previous reporting experience is a plus; even better if you've covered breaking news/social media.
- Proficiency on social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Reddit.
- Energetic self-starter and a fast thinker who can spot stories that matter.
- Experience shooting and editing photos and video on an iPhone.
- Strong communication skills, news judgement and headline-writing ability.
- Ability to multitask and excel under intense deadline pressure.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
Please attach a resume, cover letter, and three to five work samples (PDFs preferred; URLs accepted) to your online application.
Here's what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and the contributions you make, up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% Company match!
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Back to top