Reporter - Government Accountability
The Ithaca (NY) Journal, part of the USA Today Network, seeks an experienced reporter for its government accountability beat. This reporter covers city and county government and works with a regional Watchdog Team to develop local and upstate New York investigative work. The position is ideal for a reporter with some reporting experience to develop deep investigative skills, including public records reporting and database journalism. The reporter will be part of a regional watchdog team that includes highly experienced investigative journalists from Binghamton and Elmira. Ithaca, one of the most beautiful communities in the Northeast, is home to Cornell University and Ithaca College and has a college-town feel with great cultural amenities for a city of its size.
Among the responsibilities of the government accountability reporter:
- Researches, writes and reports compelling journalism that continuously grows a fan base by informing and engaging readers.
- Acts as a public ambassador through community outreach and connects with readers through social media.
- Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Produces watchdog journalism that leads to change.
- Works with the content strategist and executive editor to shape storytelling to meet audience needs and interests on every platform.
- Contributes to the community's greater good through impactful journalism.
The ideal candidate for this position possesses the following qualities, knowledge or skills:
- Ability to produce top-notch watchdog journalism.
- Exceptional cross-platform storytelling skills.
- Exceptional core journalism skills (reporting, producing, editing).
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers' time and money.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Advanced knowledge of social media and how to engage fan base on digital platforms in the public space.
- Photo and video skills.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Knows how to use time effectively in a 24-hour news environment.
- Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
- Embraces peer-to-peer feedback and training.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company's goals.
- Writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style.
- Industry knowledge.
- Organizational skills.
- Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct.
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Connect with us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Glassdoor, Indeed & The Muse to learn more about our dynamic company culture!
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Miranda’s main goal is creating unique, practical layouts that perfectly pair graphics and content to appeal to users. She considers readability and presentation of magazines paramount.
Back to top