California, USA ● Tulare, CA 93274, USA ● Visalia, CA, USA Req #14798
Monday, March 29, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Visalia Times-Delta/visaliatimesdelta.com part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is searching for a digital-savvy reporter to cover daily news and take on investigative and enterprise projects in Visalia, Tulare and the Central Valley.
The selected candidate produces smart, context-filled stories, photos and other content on tight deadlines while developing high-impact journalism on longer projects. She or he understands the difference in writing for various platforms. This role will fit your style if you're the kind of journalist who's always thinking of the next story - who has a pipeline of ideas and is eager to collaborate on sharpening and pursuing them.
Visalia is in the middle of the state and is known as the Gateway to the Sequoias. The city of 136,000-plus people has a vibrant downtown and is centrally located between Fresno and Bakersfield. The agriculture-rich Tulare County, where Visalia and Tulare sit, is located within two hours of the Central Coast and a short drive to Sequoia, Kings Canyon and Yosemite national parks.
The Visalia Times-Delta and its sister paper, Tulare Advance-Register, cover a wide variety of topics, beats and report from areas around Tulare County.
- Report quickly, clearly and accurately and deliver news, via stories, photos, video, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or any other methods available to reach our Valley audience.
- Use metrics to make informed story choices and shape beat strategies.
- Identifies top news stories of the day, based on analytics and audience potential.
- Cultivates a beat, knowing the ins/outs of city government, education and public safety and key players in each field. Has a genuine interest in people and ability to build trust.
- Equally adept at writing breaking news stories, enterprise and trending stories and traditional long-form features.
- Writes and/or produces multimedia content that appeals to key audience targets and maximizes user experience on digital and social platforms to reach readers where they spend their time and attention.
- Provide cogent analysis of trends and issues that affect the daily lives of readers.
- Works closely with graphic, photo and video teams to optimize and produce content.
- Is comfortable hosting videos, Facebook Live appearances, and podcasts.
- Engages with readers through various social media platforms.
- Demonstrates strong news judgment informed by real-world experience.
- Bachelor's in Communications, Journalism, Digital Media or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Reporting/newsroom experience preferred.
- Spanish-speakers encouraged to apply.
- Strong knowledge of AP grammar and style.
- Recent college graduates encouraged to apply.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- A desire to grow and develop a key beat in our newsroom.
- Willingness to take on assignments that require trips out of the office.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume - one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here's what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top