Reporter - Communities, Cops & Courts
Cedar City, UT, USA Req #5758
Tuesday, October 23, 2018
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal and SweetIQ, and U.K. media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
Reporter - Communities, Cops & Courts
The Spectrum & Daily News/thespectrum.com/cedar-city , part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, has an immediate opening for a full-time reporter in Cedar City, Utah. Our Iron County beat is wide-ranging. It includes city and county government, cops and courts, and Southern Utah University, as well as storytelling, events and the arts. The ideal candidate must be passionate about getting the story, able to perform under minimal supervision and consistent about hitting deadlines. Your writing will be engaging and accurate.
The reporter will be an important member of a team of talented journalists who are passionate about southwestern Utah. As a mobile journalist, the reporter will be based in Cedar City and work from anywhere with Wi-Fi. (A photographer and sports reporter also are based in Cedar City.) The reporter will be expected to write three to five articles a week.
Cedar City, about 50 miles north of The Spectrum's office in St. George, is a small town with a big heart. It is home to the Utah Shakespeare Festival, SUU and the Utah Summer Games. It is a spectacular area with multiple national parks within easy driving distance and world-class outdoors opportunities.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics. Works toward becoming the community's leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Works with content strategist and audience analyst to evaluate what's working and what's not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Performs other duties as necessary.
- Explores and reports on the widest range of news and trends, connecting with our audience's passion.
- Content strategies include print, branded digital platforms, traditional and emerging social media, events, apps and curation of contributed and expert content.
- Places a high priority on data analysis to identify trends that would otherwise go unreported.
- Strategizes and executes distribution and optimization plans for all content.
- Demonstrates clear concise writing skills with strong nut graphs and "why this is important to me" content.
- Requires outstanding research skills and extensive contacts that can break news.
- Requires the ability to create trust within their niche community. The primary channel will be our digital products first, but the content will also make its way into printed publications.
- Identifies, cultivates and curates contributed, authoritative content and reporting that expands the footprint of the beat.
- Bachelor's in Communications, Journalism or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of two years of reporting experience.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Works weekends and nights as needed.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- Must be willing to travel on short notice to cover breaking news events.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume - one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here's what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and the contributions you make, up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% Company match!
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Back to top