The El Paso Times, a part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a reporter who is passionate about watchdog journalism and who embraces different forms of storytelling to meet audience needs and interests on every platform.
The ideal candidate will be adept at producing compelling journalism that continuously grows a fan base by informing and engaging readers; can juggle daily and enterprise reporting; will provide thoughtful
analysis of complex issues; can produce self-directed work in collaboration with the content coach and is passionate about data and access to public records.
- Uses data, records and source development to provide deep and thoughtful analysis of complex
- Collaborates and connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media,
video, forums, community leadership, etc.)
- Works with the content strategist and audience analyst to evaluate what's working and what's
not, and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Performs other duties as necessary.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Ability to produce top-notch watchdog journalism.
- Exceptional cross-platform storytelling skills.
- Exceptional core journalism skills (reporting, producing, editing).
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Advanced knowledge of social media and how to respond and engage fan base on digital platforms in the public space.
- Data analysis, photo and video skills.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Knows how to use time effectively in an always-on workday.
- Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
- Must embrace peer-to-peer feedback and training.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company's goals.
- Writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style.
- Industry knowledge.
- Organizational skills.
- Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct.
- Bilingual is not required but is a plus
WORK EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, AND/OR LEVEL OF EDUCATION NECESSARY
FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor's in Communications, Journalism or equivalent in experience and education.
- Five years of experience developing a personal brand and fan base.
- Experience with advanced storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
- Understanding use of metrics, videography, Microsoft Office Suite, publishing skills, data analysis.
- Creativity, source development, social media, advanced storytelling, advanced analytical ability,
interpersonal skills, time management.
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Connect with us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Glassdoor, Indeed & The Muse to learn more about our dynamic company culture!
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Miranda’s main goal is creating unique, practical layouts that perfectly pair graphics and content to appeal to users. She considers readability and presentation of magazines paramount.
Back to top