Reporter - Breaking News
The San Angelo Standard-Times, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a journalist who has the competitiveness to want to break news constantly, the eagerness to report the biggest story of the day and the desire to write impactful stories that people remember and want to share on social media.
The ideal candidate knows good storytelling often includes a video component, so some video experience is preferred. This reporter would need to build a story quickly for digital platforms and know how to advance the story with an engaging lead and well sourced copy.
The job has variety, but the emphasis is always on making the most of the news of the day. We put value on real-time reporting and breaking news on digital platforms and seek energetic and eager reporters who naturally think that way.
- This position could include day and nighttime hours and requires accurate work under tight deadlines.
- Applicants should ideally have at least two years of daily newspaper experience, with clips showing the ability to write breaking news stories, enterprise pieces and features big and small.
- Spanish fluency is a plus.
The Standard-Times pays competitive salary with benefits. We're going to fill this spot quickly.
- Newsgathering and write stories as assigned.
- Work weekends when requested.
- Take photos and shoot video as assigned.
- Cover breaking news events in real-time.
- Well-organized, detail-oriented, adaptable and ﬂexible
- Ability to multi-task and work well in a team environment
- Excellent organizational, analytical and oral and written communication skills
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Connect with us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Glassdoor, Indeed & The Muse to learn more about our dynamic company culture!
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Project Manager, People Division
Jade helps streamline operations while keeping tabs on company culture. Her role goes beyond transactional tasks and includes social engagement and Human Resources communication.
Back to top