We are seeking a creative and competent reporter who is eager to tell great stories drawn from the Springfield area with an emphasis on sports. This person researches, reports and writes compelling journalism that continuously grows a fan base by informing and engaging readers; focuses on digital storytelling and presentation; acts as a public ambassador through community outreach; connects with readers through social media; and writes strong profiles with thoughtful analyses of complex issues while quickly reacting to breaking news. We seek a team player prepared to fill in where needed, when necessary.
Typical Job Duties:
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms
through use of metrics. Works toward becoming the community's leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.).
- Works with supervisors to evaluate what's working and what's not, and develops plans to better satisfy
- Collaborates with content team to provide all the appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and
graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Performs other duties as necessary.
- Often required to work extended hours, evenings, weekends and holidays, sometimes
- Applicants should show an ability to identify enterprise opportunities and the willingness to do the work necessary to execute top-notch investigations. Applicants should have a solid foundation of
journalistic skills, including aptitude for acquiring and reporting from public documents.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Exceptional core journalism skills (reporting, producing, editing) including aptitude for acquiring and reporting from public documents. Writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style.
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers' time and money.
- Advanced knowledge of social media and how to engage the public audience on digital platforms.
- Efficient photo and video and organization skills.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Knows how to use time effectively in a 24-hour news environment and Industry knowledge.
- Self-motivation and self-direction with ability to work collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
- Must embrace peer-to-peer feedback and training.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company's goals.
- Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct.
- Emphasis on sports reporting and knowledge.
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Connect with us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Glassdoor, Indeed & The Muse to learn more about our dynamic company culture!
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Project Manager, People Division
Jade helps streamline operations while keeping tabs on company culture. Her role goes beyond transactional tasks and includes social engagement and Human Resources communication.
Back to top