The Carlsbad Current-Argus, a Gannett Company and part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a reporter to cover this dynamic area across platforms, with particular focus on enterprising journalism in a rapidly expanding region.
Researches, reports and writes compelling journalism that continuously grows a fan base by informing and engaging readers. Acts as a public ambassador through community outreach and connects with readers through social media. Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues. Works with the managing editor to shape storytelling to meet audience needs and interests on every platform. Contributes to the community's greater good through impactful journalism.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics. Works toward becoming the community's leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.).
- Works with the managing editor to evaluate what's working and what's not, and develops plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all the appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Coaches and mentors, less-experience journalists.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Performs other duties as necessary.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Ability to produce top-notch watchdog journalism.
- Exceptional cross-platform storytelling skills
- Exceptional core journalism skills (reporting, producing, editing).
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers' time and money.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Advanced knowledge of social media and how to engage fan base on digital platforms in the public space.
- Photo and video skills.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Knows how to use time effectively in a 24-hour news environment.
- Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
- Must embrace peer-to-peer feedback and training.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company's goals.
- Writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style.
- Industry knowledge.
- Organizational skills.
- Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct.
WORK EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, AND/OR LEVEL OF EDUCATION NECESSARY FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor's in Communications, Journalism or equivalent in experience and education.
- 3 – 5 Years of experience developing a personal brand and fan base.
- Experience with advanced storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
- Understanding use of metrics, Videography, Microsoft Office Suite, publishing skills
- Social-media skills, Advance storytelling skills, Advanced analytical ability, Interpersonal skills, Time management, Creativity
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Connect with us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Glassdoor, Indeed & The Muse to learn more about our dynamic company culture!
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Project Manager, People Division
Jade helps streamline operations while keeping tabs on company culture. Her role goes beyond transactional tasks and includes social engagement and Human Resources communication.
Back to top