Arkansas, USA ● Mountain Home, AR, USA Req #14978
Monday, April 5, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Are you a journalist who values community news? Do you want to commit journalism in a town that relies on you as its primary source of information? Do you want a chance to contribute to a larger state and regional team all while living in the beautiful surroundings of the Ozarks?
The Baxter Bulletin/baxterbulletin.comin Mountain Home, Arkansas, a part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for a Reporter to join the team.
This is a digital-first news organization that covers life on the southern edge of the Ozarks. Planning will be second nature and is key to the success of this reporter.
Our goal is to get away from traditional a traditional beat structure and focus on coverage priorities. We want to create enterprise journalism that represents what is important to Mountain Home. We will seek out watchdog and solutions journalism opportunities but shy away from meeting and other institutional coverage. We want our journalism to reflect the diversity and shine the light on marginalized people and their struggles.
This reporter may will also contribute to reporting projects with USA TODAY NETWORK teams in Arkansas and the South Region on stories of statewide and regional importance.
Located in the northern part of Arkansas, Mountain Home offers a low cost of living that is minutes from both Norfork and Bull Shoals lakes in the Ozarks and is home for fishing and outdoors enthusiasts. Baxter County is about 90 minutes from the excitement of Branson, Missouri, and about three hours north of the state capital in Little Rock.
- Report quickly, clearly and accurately and deliver news, via stories, photos, video, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or any other methods available.
- Use metrics to make informed story choices and shape beat strategies.
- Identify top news stories of the day, based on analytics and audience potential.
- Cultivate a community, knowing the ins/outs of city government, education and public safety and key players in each field.
- Have a genuine interest in people and ability to build trust.
- Adept at writing breaking news stories, enterprise and trending stories and traditional long-form features.
- Create multimedia content that appeals to key audience targets and maximizes user experience on digital and social platforms.
- Comfortable hosting videos, Facebook Live appearances, and podcasts.
- Engages with readers through various social media platforms.
- Demonstrates strong news judgment informed by real-world experience.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Reporting/newsroom experience preferred.
- Strong knowledge of AP grammar and style.
- Recent college graduates encouraged to apply.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume - one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top