Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal and SweetIQ, and U.K. media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
The Commercial Appeal is seeking a reporter to cover the suburbs of Memphis. The successful candidate will break news daily about the communities outside Memphis, with a sharp focus on education, development and community news of significance. The reporter who joins our award-winning team should have video and social media expertise, and a passion for storytelling.
The ideal candidate produces smart, context-filled stories and other content on tight deadlines and understands the difference in writing for various platforms. This position requires a versatile journalist equally skilled in building and working sources on breaking news stories as well as developing and reporting new angles on trending topics.
The successful candidate will:
- Put a human face on the news, approaching the beat through the lens of prosperity -- who has it, who doesn't and why.
- Bring a digital mindset to the beat, using social media savvy to bring news to readers where they are. That means employing real-time metrics to respond
to audience demand and reader interest.
- Use live video to spotlight breaking news and high-interest events.
- Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues, and produce watchdog journalism that leads to change.
- Act as a public ambassador through community outreach and connect with readers through social media platforms.
Here's what you need:
- Bachelor's degree in journalism or related discipline
- At least five years of reporting experience
- Excellent communication and time management skills
- Ability to produce accurate and detailed content in a competitive environment
- Expertise with all major social media platforms
- Video production skills a plus
About The Commercial Appeal:
The Commercial Appeal is proud to be a part of Gannett and the USA TODAY NETWORK. We are an energetic and fast-paced media company with a news team committed to covering the Memphis area. If you're looking for a rewarding challenge, the CA is the place to be.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Steven serves as a point person of contact with businesses in local markets. He works with partner organizations to determine how USA TODAY can help them be successful.
Back to top