Real-Time Trending News Reporter
Staunton, VA 24401, USA Req #7907
Monday, July 8, 2019
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, SweetIQ, and United Kingdom media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
Real-Time Trending News Reporter
Do you love to be the first to know something and can't wait to share it? Are you plugged into all that's happening in the community around you?
If so, come join us, improve your craft and tell stories from a newsroom that prioritizes the local digital coverage our followers crave.
The News Leader/ newsleader.com , in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginiaandpart of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking an energetic, independent morning real-time reporter to help our audience start the day with news they need.
Curiosity and quick reporting drive this journalist as they monitor top platforms and channels, looking for the most-talked about topics and most-asked questions for our local and regional audience. The reporter will begin our day on digital with news updates, items from overnight, social interest shares, quick-hit content.
Come prepared to begin every day with fresh ideas. We want a self-starter who can write well and is ambitious. We are! The News Leader has been honored as USA TODAY Network's best small newsroom in five of the last six years. Coaching reporters is our top priority, and many have gone on to larger network newsrooms after finding success with us.
There will be time for in-depth and watchdog reporting. We emphasize strong project work in our newsroom.
Our Staunton office features easy access to the Blue Ridge Parkway, Charlottesville and world-class hiking and outdoor activities. Our preserved Victorian downtown features a thriving restaurant and craft beer scene as well as a national arts attraction, the American Shakespeare Center.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages the audience.
- Connects with the community through reporting and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.). Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Works with content strategist to evaluate what's working and develops ongoing plans to satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A curious mind and conversational approach to writing. This is a role that prizes communication, so clarity is key.
- Fast at writing. And ability to take coaching well. We will coach for writing style and tone.
- Previous professional journalism/reporting experience preferred; even better if you've covered social media trends.
- Speed and fluency with digital platforms and content management systems. This is a must.
- Understanding of how to use social media platforms, including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Reddit, and how to tell multimedia stories.
- Experience shooting and editing photos and video on an iPhone.
- Strong communication skills, news judgment and headline-writing ability.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, self-start, multitask, contribute and excel under deadline pressure.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume - one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here's what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and the contributions you make, up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% Company match!
Gannett Co., is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top