Quality of Life Reporter
Georgia, USA ● Savannah, GA, USA Req #14684
Thursday, March 25, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Quality of Life Reporter
Savannah is a premier tourist destination because of all its great food, rich cultural history, wonderful museums and abundant shopping options, and people love its proximity to beautiful beaches. But locals don't leave all the fun to out-of-towners. Every day they live and play in one of the jewels of the coast.
The Savannah Morning News / savannahnow.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a Quality-of-Life reporter who embraces every opportunity to tell stories about what makes Savannah special to locals. This reporter is both a storyteller and an insider.
The reporter is eager to tell this town's culinary story. The journalist would introduce readers to new chefs and explore local industry trends. The always-curious reporter would give our audience behind-the-scenes looks at their favorite restaurants and bars and be the go-to source for openings and closings and more restaurant news. The reporter keeps an eye out for trends in the local retail industry and is the first to know exciting happenings in the arts and culture scene.
This position is best suited for a reporter who thrives on writing daily quick-turn stories with voice yet can spot larger local trend and enterprise pieces for target audiences. Multimedia and social media skills are required in this food and features world.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics. Works toward becoming the community's leading voice in area of expertise.
- Use analytics to guide story decisions and to understand how to deliver the content readers want to read.
- Cover news from a digital-first approach; that means breaking news online and developing stories as they unfold throughout the day.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Performs other duties as necessary.
- Bachelor's or master's in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 1-3 years' reporting/newsroom experience preferred.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check, motor vehicle record check & urinalysis drug screen (for driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume - one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top