Public Safety Reporter
New York, USA • Poughkeepsie, NY, USA Req #16259
Tuesday, June 1, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Public Safety Reporter
The Poughkeepsie Journal is looking for a reporter to build upon a bold experiment in journalism in our coverage of public safety.
Over the past year, we have reinvented our coverage of public safety in New York's Hudson Valley, moving away from a focus on crime and police-blotter reporting that provoked distrust and tension, toward more people-focused reporting in our region's neighborhoods rich and poor. If you value, as we do, making journalism more diverse, equitable and inclusive, and are passionate, as we are, about flexing your reporting and writing muscles to help us reinvent the way media covers public safety, this is a role for you. In this beat, the reporter:
• Serves the needs of the communities most affected by crime and by the impact of policing tactics.
• Becomes more trusted and more reflective of the affected communities through inclusion of neighborhood voices and through authenticity in storytelling.
• Examines the effectiveness of policing approaches and acknowledges and explores the racially disparate impacts that often result.
• Highlights neighborhood efforts to address crime and its impact.
• Acts as a public ambassador through community outreach and connect with influencers and engaged readers through social media.
• Works with investigative and storytelling editors and audience analysts to shape reporting and storytelling to meet audience needs and interests on every platform.
• Determines the best digital platforms and methods of presentation to inform underserved communities.
• Points to solutions where present or possible, including how readers can protect themselves.
• Delivers data-based insights into public safety trends.
• Overall is less reactive to information put out by police and more enterprising and more embracing of needs, concerns and solutions in our cities and towns.
The public safety reporter works with a team that covers a seven-county area: primarily Dutchess, Orange, Putnam, Westchester and Rockland, with some reporting out of Sullivan and Ulster. The reporter can be based anywhere in our primary coverage area.
Undergraduate degree in journalism
At least 1 year of relevant newsroom experience
This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top