North Carolina, USA • Wilmington, NC, USA Req #16997
Tuesday, July 6, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The StarNews /StarNewsOnline.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking an ambitious reporter to cover public safety and courts.
We're looking for a talented reporter who i s adept at covering breaking news and shooting video in the field while also having the skills to dig deeper to get at the story behind the first-day coverage.
The StarNews is committed to providing public safety and crime reporting that is fair, solution-based and focused on accountability. We want to listen to, engage with and respond to those often underserved and statistically misrepresented in crime and courts coverage. And we aim to balance our crime reporting by highlighting the good news that builds and restores relationships and trust with all residents.
We value top-notch journalism that makes a connection with readers. And we'll give you the time and coaching to deliver high-impact stories our digital readers crave. Through the USA TODAY Network, we benefit from industry experts, sophisticated tools and training.
One of the top 10 largest municipalities in North Carolina, Wilmington is home to a diverse community that includes young professionals , middle-age families and an older retiree population. The city is situated inside New Hanover County with access to three beaches and with a n estimated future growth of 90% anticipated in the coming years. The counties beside New Hanover and within the StarNews coverage area are two of the fastest growing in the state - Pender and Brunswick - which boast their own coastlines of North Carolina oceanfront property .
Wilmington's downtown offers an eclectic blend of historic charm and modern appeal that includes being home of the World War II Battleship North Carolina and Victorian-era architecture is part of the 230-block National Re g ister Historic District . Near the Cape Fear River and the Riverwalk that overlooks it are locally owned restaurants , galleries and shops that offer a vibrant nightlife through live music, bars and theater productions . Wilmington is noted for having a variety of places to live, from historic homes to modern apartments situat ed all over the city.
- Create storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Work toward becoming the community's leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connect with the community through storytelling.
- Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Work with your content coach and digital partners to evaluate what's working and what's not and develop ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborate with photographers to provide all appropriate elements for stories. Capture basic photos and video as needed.
- Promote your personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2 years' reporting experience, which could include freelancing, internships and college publication work.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Passionate about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
- Willingness to grow and develop a key beat in our newsroom.
- Comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understanding of reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excel in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborate well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
1. Your resume - one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.