Jackson, TN, USA Req #19597
Monday, November 8, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
The Jackson Sun and jacksonsun.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a reporter to cover public safety and courts.
We're looking for a talented, insightful, curious and ambitious multimedia reporter who is adept at breaking news, crafting enterprise stories, collaborating with peers to conceptualize visuals (graphics, videos, etc.), engaging with the community on social media and shooting video, including appearing in front the camera.
The Sun is committed to providing public safety and crime reporting that is fair, solution-based and focused on accountability. We want to listen to, engage with and respond to those often underserved and statistically misrepresented in crime and courts coverage. And we aim to balance our crime reporting by highlighting the good news that builds and restores relationships and trust with all residents.
We value top-notch journalism that makes a connection with readers. And we'll give you the time and coaching to deliver high-impact stories our digital readers crave. Through the USA TODAY Network, we benefit from industry experts, sophisticated tools and training.
• Create storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
• Work toward becoming the community's leading voice in area of expertise.
• Connect with the community through storytelling.
• Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
• Work with your content coach and digital partners to evaluate what's working and what's not and develop ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
• Collaborate with photographers to provide all appropriate elements for stories. Capture basic photos and video as needed.
• Promote your personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
• Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
• Bachelor's or master's degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Strong command of AP grammar and style.
• Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
• Passionate about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
• Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
• Willingness to grow and develop a key beat in our newsroom.
• Comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
• Understanding of reporting ethics and sourcing.
• Excel in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
• Collaborate well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
• This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
• Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume - one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee's race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicant's disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals' application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.'s Recruitment Department at Recruit@gannett.com.
Jackson, TN, USA Req #19597