Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal and SweetIQ, and U.K. media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
Reporting directly to Gannett's Head of Consumer Products (VP Product Management), you will support some of the highest-priority projects and products at the company. Through our native apps, websites, content verticals and events; the USA TODAY NETWORK taps into the zeitgeist of neighborhoods and communities, in ways no other American media brand can. We are dedicated to building stronger communities. To do that, we inform, equip and empower people: fostering deep and vital connections between the members of our communities and the world around them.
You will assist the VP on a wide variety of activities and handle confidential matters with discretion. In some cases, you'll handle projects from conception to completion. In others, you'll work as part of larger, multiple-disciplinary teams. Regardless, you'll be exposed to all facets of digital publishing.
Candidates must exercise excellent professional judgment, show initiative, demonstrate aptitude for strong written and verbal communication, have exceptional organizational skills and the ability to maintain a realistic balance among multiple priorities. You should be creative and enjoy working within an entrepreneurial environment that is results-driven and community oriented.
- Participate as an adjunct member of the VP's senior leadership team, including assisting in scheduling and setting agendas for staff meetings, attending those meetings, taking detailed notes, assigning and tracking specific follow-up action items.
- Plan, coordinate and ensure the VP's calendar is followed and respected. As a gatekeeper, create win-win situations for direct access to the VP's time and office.
- Research, prioritize, and follow-up on incoming issues and concerns addressed to the VP, including external vendor pitches, employment inquiries and others of a sensitive or confidential nature. Determine the appropriate course of action, referral or response.
- Complete a broad variety of administrative tasks including: managing an extremely active calendar, composing and preparing correspondence that is sometimes confidential, compiling documents for internal and external meetings.
- Manage a variety of special projects, some of which may have organizational impacts.
- Prioritize conflicting needs; handling matters proactively and seeing projects through to successful completion, often with deadline pressures.
- Follow up on professional contacts made by the VP, managing LinkedIn messages, supporting the cultivation of ongoing industry relationships.
- Assist the VP in broadly disseminating his thoughts and perspective on industry news, including assisting with team communication and social media promotion.
- Coordinate the VP's meetings by arriving at least 10 minutes in advance, ensuring A/V is working as intended, making sufficient copies of relevant materials, etc.
- Work closely and effectively with the VP to keep him well-informed of upcoming commitments and deadlines, following up appropriately. Act as a "barometer," having a sense for the issues taking place in the division and keeping the VP updated.
- Detail-oriented with excellent organization, analytical, and prioritization skills
- Able to accurately handle multiple tasks and projects in a fast-paced environment
- Able to easily and comfortably switch between day-to-day tactics and project planning
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion and emotional maturity
- Highly resourceful team player, also able to be extremely effective independently
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships
- Forward looking thinker, who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Experience with social media (e.g. Hootsuite) and project management (e.g. Basecamp) software applications, or a quick study with new computer programs
- Interest in media, communications and technology preferred
- Bachelor's degree required
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Steven serves as a point person of contact with businesses in local markets. He works with partner organizations to determine how USA TODAY can help them be successful.
Back to top