The Product Handler provides general support for the circulation department by handling many of the department's day to day operational needs on the loading dock or at distribution centers. This position is responsible for a variety of tasks and responsibilities within home delivery, single copy and non-daily distribution areas. The Product Handler job duties can entail but are not limited to: preparing paper work, distribution center coverage, distributing daily and non-daily products to independent contractors, loading or unloading trucks and general up-keep of the dock area and distribution center. This individual will conduct themselves in accordance with company policies and procedures; ensure quality customer service, maintain a safe work environment and use sound judgment and discretion at all times.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Responsible for distribution and handling of daily and non-daily products to carriers and haulers.
- Load and unload trucks containing various print publications in bundles, carts and pallets.
- Open the distribution center and prepare the DC for independent contractor arrival by printing, preparing and distributing specified reports and paperwork such as carrier bundle tops, vacation packs, and carrier supplies.
- Must be able to maintain accuracy while setting up carts and moving print products to bundle haulers and carriers (including correct distribution by zones, accounting for spoils, service copies, and extra copies).
- Keep distribution centers clean and safe, picking up trash and debris in and around the distribution area daily.
- Assist bundle haulers and carriers with questions and problems in the absence of a company manager.
- Responsible for reporting to management any issues relating to the distribution center and/or daily activities for the distribution center such as, contractor pick up times and product quality issues.
- Maintain and restock supplies for contractor use.
- Assist with training Product Handlers or Product Coordinators as needed.
- Expected to meet regular attendance goals of the company, relate well with other employees and managers, and perform according to company expectations.
- Responsible for personal safety and the completion of periodic safety training.
- Maintain a professional, courteous manner when dealing with employees and independent contractors.
- Performs all other duties and special projects as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Experience on the job to perform satisfactorily: 2 months
- Good time management skills with the ability to perform assigned tasks efficiently and safely.
- Neat, clean appearance conforming to department policy.
- Ability to communicate with contractors and co-workers.
- Ability to count accurately and use basic math skills.
- Ability to work varied days, hours and shifts from week to week including weekends and holidays as needed.
- Ability to effectively receive and relay information and instructions.
- Ability to repetitively stoop, bend and walk to distribute newspapers. Will push and pull carts loaded with newspapers and repetitively lift newspaper bundles weighing between 10–20 pounds.
- Ability to coordinate several tasks simultaneously within a fast paced environment.
- Ability to function with minimum direct supervision.
- Minimum age requirement of 18 years of age and must have a valid driver's license, proof of insurance, and a good driving record.
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Project Manager, People Division
Jade helps streamline operations while keeping tabs on company culture. Her role goes beyond transactional tasks and includes social engagement and Human Resources communication.
Back to top