Principal Data Engineer
Join Gannett, a top global digital media and Fortune 500 company that reaches more than 100 million people monthly through a powerful network of broadcast, mobile & publishing properties. Gannett Product Technology leads development and innovation around digital products across the company - our goal is to re-imagine our traditional media roots by creating innovative products and services that leverage our role as an information provider and reach our customers whenever and wherever they need us. Explore the possibilities at Gannett as an API Services Data Engineer(Principal).
The API Services team is responsible for engineering and delivering cutting-edge services to aide in content delivery to end customers. These services support 110 news brands, and more than 110 million unique monthly visitors.
The Principal Data Engineer will play a key role in architecting, developing and maintaining the data architecture for Gannett's new Content Platform that supports the content production & delivery systems that are consumed by both our network of 3000 journalists & our customer facing products. You will be expected to design & consume large scale, fault tolerant and highly available architectures. A large part of your role will be forward looking, with an emphasis on optimizing content structures & relationships.If you have a passion for rapid development, automation, learning, challenging and bettering your peers, with a strong desire to operate in a full stack environment, you'd probably fit in well here.
- Collaborate with stakeholders & developers to identify data needs & ideal implementation.
- Contribute to the architecture and vision of Gannett's content data pipeline.
- Track record of evolving complex data environments.
- Continuously evaluate data usage patterns and identify areas of improvement.
- Interface closely with data scientists and engineering to ensure reliability and scalability of data environment.
- Drive future state technologies, designs and ideas across the organization.
- Provide planning for two-week sprints.
- Provide day to day operational support for our applications.
- Improve and establish best practice around our application and infrastructure monitoring.
- Containerizing applications with Docker
- Scripting new solutions/APIs/services to reduce toil
- Research new tools to optimize cost, deployment speed and resource usage
- Assist in improving our onboarding structure and documentation.
- 30% - Data architecture design / review
- 20% - Mentoring
- 15% - Application Support
- 15% - Planning / Documentation
- 10% - Design applications / recommendations / poc
- 10% - New Technology Evaluation
- Elastic Search
- Other NoSQL Databases
Exciting things you get to do:
- Engineering high-performant applications with an emphasis on concurrency
- Amazon Web Services, Google Compute Engine
- Google DataStore, Spanner, DynamoDB
- Docker, Kubernetes
- Database testing
- Monitoring with NewRelic
- Deep experience in ETL design, schema design and dimensional data modeling.
- Ability to match business requirements to technical ETL design and data infrastructure needs.
- Experience using search technologies like Elasticsearch and Solr and designing the integration of search with a persistent data store.
- Deep understanding of data normalization methodologies.
- Deep understanding of both Relational and NoSQL databases.
- Experience with data solutions like Hadoop, Teradata, Oracle.
- Proven expertise with query languages such as SQL, T-SQL, NRQL, solr querying.
- Self-Starter that can operate in a remote-friendly environment.
- Experience with Agile (Scrum) and test driven development, continuous integration and version control (GIT).
- Experience deploying to Cloud compute or container hosting.
- Experience working with data modeling tools.
- Basic understanding of REST APIs, SDKs and CLI toolsets.
- Understanding of web technologies.
- Experience with Data in a media industry is a plus.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Steven serves as a point person of contact with businesses in local markets. He works with partner organizations to determine how USA TODAY can help them be successful.
Back to top