The Lansing State Journal, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for an energetic photojournalist with strong video skills to join our team. Must be urgent, a quick learner, social media savvy and have a passion for visual storytelling. Reporting skills are a plus. A qualified candidate should demonstrate high command of techniques, sophisticated craftsmanship and a passion for community engagement. In this position, you will also act as a public ambassador through community outreach, and will be expected to connect with readers -- through social media, on camera and in person through live events. Works on special projects and performs editing of visuals when needed.
In this role, you will:
- Photograph and edit daily assignments, including but not limited to breaking news, features and sports
- Create photo galleries
- Produce videos for social media platforms, as well as polished, longer-term video projects
- Use social media to share your work and connect with our audience
Here's what you need:
- Bachelor's degree in journalism or photography or equivalent
- Exceptional core photojournalism skills (reporting, photography and videography).
- Proficiency using photo and video editing software, including Photoshop, Premiere, Final Cut Pro
- Experience with shooting and editing on an iPhone
- Ability to write accurate, detailed captions
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers' time and money
- Industry knowledge
- Understanding of social media and how to engage fan bases on digital platforms
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing industry
- Knows how to use time efficiently in a 24-hour newsroom
- Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Connect with us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Glassdoor, Indeed & The Muse to learn more about our dynamic company culture!
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Project Manager, People Division
Jade helps streamline operations while keeping tabs on company culture. Her role goes beyond transactional tasks and includes social engagement and Human Resources communication.
Back to top