The Jackson Sun is looking for an energetic photojournalist with strong video skills to join our team. Must be urgent, a quick learner, social media savvy and have a passion for visual storytelling. A qualified candidate should demonstrate high command of techniques, sophisticated craftsmanship and a passion for community engagement.
In this role, you will:
- Act as a public ambassador through community outreach, and will be expected to connect with readers -- through social media, on camera and in person through live events.
- Work on special projects and performs editing of visuals when needed.
- Photograph and edit daily assignments, including but not limited to breaking news, features and sports.
- Create photo galleries.
- Produce videos for jacksonsun.com and social media platforms, as well as polished, longer-term video projects.
- Use social media to share your work and connect with our audience.
Here's what you need:
- Bachelor's degree in journalism or photography or equivalent.
- Exceptional core photojournalism skills (reporting, photography
- Proficiency using photo and video editing software, including
Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, Photo Mechanic.
- Experience with shooting and editing on an iPhone.
- Ability to write accurate, detailed captions.
- Industry knowledge.
- Understanding of social media and how to engage fan bases on
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a
rapidly changing industry.
- Knows how to use time efficiently in a 24-hour newsroom.
- Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
This job will includes evening and weekend work.
The Jackson Sun has been the primary provider of local news and information in West Tennessee since 1848. We are committed to excellent journalism for our community, including being the premiere source of watchdog and investigative journalism. The Jackson Sun provides an understanding of local issues, an array of opinions and local voices and gives you the most comprehensive local sports report.
The Jackson Sun is the forum that helps people understand what is happening in the world around them, both near and far. In a rapidly changing society, newspapers endeavor to provide relevant and in-depth information in an organized, manageable source.
We take seriously our role in serving the readers and advertisers of West Tennessee.
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Connect with us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Glassdoor, Indeed & The Muse to learn more about our dynamic company culture!
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Project Manager, People Division
Jade helps streamline operations while keeping tabs on company culture. Her role goes beyond transactional tasks and includes social engagement and Human Resources communication.
Back to top