Part-Time News Editorial Assistant
- Great Falls, MT
Great Falls, MT, USA Req #11221
Thursday, August 27, 2020
Part-Time News Editorial Assistant
Great Falls Tribune/ greatfallstribune.com , in Great Falls, Montana, part ofthe USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a Part-Time News Editorial Assistant to join our team. An editorial assistant plays a crucial role in the newsroom in assisting customers while helping in content production.
The successful candidate will have experience editing and planning and understand newspaper production. We're looking for someone who is extremely organized, meticulous, self-starting, skilled at time management, practiced at handling outreach in a professional manner, and at juggling many tasks.
The position is part-time, with 25 hours of work expected per week.
- Assemble content and event announcements for weekly publications (Hot Ticket and Global Guardian).
- Take point in customer service by responding to readers' inquiries, concerns, and fielding story ideas.
- Actively contribute to content production for digital and print platforms on deadline.
- Communicate with editors, page designers and reporters over email and instant messenger.
- Write news briefs, assemble calendars, birth announcements, photo galleries.
- Other office and clerical duties and special projects, as assigned.
- High School Diploma/G.E.D. required; some college and/or internship experience is preferred.
- Effective communicator and collaborator in person and via email; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Able to multi-task and excel under deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Strong organizational and planning ability.
- Self-motivated, creative, flexible, willing to take initiative and be accountable.
- Meets deadlines; knows how to use time effectively.
- Shows ability to resolve customer issues independently while maintaining the highest level of customer service.
- Demonstrates accuracy and attention to detail.
- Basic journalism skills (reporting, writing, spelling, grammar, Associated Press style) and the ability to learn the news organizations' style.
- Ability to write clearly and cleanly, and to do effective research on a variety of general-interest topics.
- Ability to type cleanly and quickly, as well as find and correct errors in existing text.
- Ability to function under daily deadlines to produce daily and weekly publications.
- Customer service skills to communicate with the public.
- Comfort with Windows operating systems and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.), willingness and ability to learn news-related software as needed.
- Excellent time-management skills and a drive to organize content.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume - one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top