Part-Time News Editorial Assistant
- Hagatna, Guam
Guam Req #10042
Tuesday, January 14, 2020
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of nearly 140 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include the USA TODAY and more than 260 daily local newspaper brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, WordStream, and ThriveHive and U.K. media company Newsquest. There's never been a better time to join our talented team. Visit Gannett.com/Careers to learn more!
Part-Time News Editorial Assistant
The Pacific Daily News/guampdn.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a part-time news editorial assistant. This position serves a crucial role by being a liaison between the community and the newsroom.
The successful candidate will provide support for the newsroom, responding to readers' questions, concerns and story tips. Great customer service skills are a must, as you help customers and business callers find answers and solutions.
- Write, rewrite, assemble and publish content such as news briefs, calendars, death announcements and listings.
- Identify and pursue stories as part of the community news coverage team.
- Deliver content for digital and print platforms while meeting deadlines.
- Communicating with producers, designers, editors and reporters via email and instant messenger.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Other office and clerical duties and special projects, as assigned.
- High School Diploma/G.E.D. required; some college and/or internship experience is preferred.
- Effective communicator and collaborator in person and via email; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Able to multi-task and excel under deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Strong organizational and planning ability.
- Self-motivated, creative, flexible, willing to take initiative and be accountable.
- Meets deadlines; knows how to use time effectively.
- Shows ability to resolve customer issues independently while maintaining the highest level of customer service.
- Demonstrates accuracy and attention to detail.
- Basic journalism skills (reporting, writing, spelling, grammar, Associated Press style) and the ability to learn the news organizations' style.
- Ability to write clearly and cleanly, and to do effective research on a variety of general-interest topics.
- Ability to type cleanly and quickly, as well as find and correct errors in existing text.
- Ability to function under daily deadlines to produce daily and weekly publications.
- Customer service skills to communicate with the public.
- Comfort with Windows operating systems and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.), willingness and ability to learn news-related software as needed.
- Excellent time-management skills and a drive to organize content.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume - one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here's what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and the contributions you make, up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% Company match!
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top