Packaging Manager - USA Today Network
Michigan.com, Michigan's Largest Media Marketing Company, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, and the leader in delivering engaging news and information, has an opening for a Packaging Manager based at our Sterling Heights Operations Facility.
At Michigan.com, our formula is simple - We combine the largest news and information audience in the state with the top multi-platform marketing experts to provide businesses with a single partner with one purpose, to help them grow. We deliver the trusted brands of Michigan's largest audience, including the USA Today, Detroit Free Press/freep.com, and The Detroit News/detroitnews.com.
Under the direction of the Director of Press and Post Press, the Packaging Manager is responsible for all packaging operational, administrative & financial functions that include, but are not limited to: Production & staff scheduling; assisting with annual budgeting; monthly / quarterly expense estimates (flash); inventory & purchasing of strap, bottom wrap, consumable parts & supplies; equipment maintenance & repair; specified packaging reports & web portal data entry; capital project development & execution; OSHA & EPA compliance; and staff hiring, training, development & performance evaluations.
Direct operational oversight may include: Product sequencing; configuring packages; coordinating shipping & receiving; delivery dock operations; product staging; equipment set-up; and advanced operation of: Inserters, joggers, conveyors, stackers, folders, strappers, bottom wrap machines, loaders, printers, address labelers, adhesive advertising applicators, scales, pallet jacks, fork trucks, and stitch & trim binding equipment. General packaging maintenance includes—but is not limited to: Equipment blowdown, preventive maintenance, sweeping floors, and packaging materials disposal.
The primary objective is to support efficient production operations as needed to achieve & maintain on-time production, product quality standards, low waste, and operational safety.
- Manages all packaging department functions, activities and resources to achieve operational goals
- Works a flexible schedule as needed to address issues across multiple shifts
- Accountable for team performance to achieve & maintain:
- On-time production performance
- Product quality and accuracy standards
- Operational safety
- OSHA & EPA compliance
- Positive employee & customer relations
- Overall packaging department financial performance
- Packaging Department Tasks:
- Provide management oversight to assure timely & accurate execution of the following functions:
- Annual budgeting
- Supply inventory & purchasing
- Periodic & quarterly expense estimates (flash)
- Assist with packaging reports & web portal data entry
- Staff training, develop & performance reviews
- Capital project development & execution
- Production scheduling
- Staff scheduling
- Shift make ready: Verification of preprint insertion schedules & zoning; product staging; coordinating packaging center and/or specific workstation resources; communication with press, distribution and other departments as required
- Equipment set-up & advanced operation of: Inserters, joggers, conveyors, stackers, folders, strappers, bottom wrap machines, loaders, printers, address labelers, adhesive advertising applicators, scales, pallet jacks, fork trucks, and stitch & trim binding equipment.
- Advanced production control; preprint management systems, inserter drive controls and related reporting and analysis.
- Shipping & receiving dock operations
- General packaging maintenance includes—but is not limited to: Equipment blowdown, sweeping floors, and packaging materials disposal
- Always work in a safe manner, and consistently utilize required safety equipment.
- Complete required annual OSHA safety training programs: Lockout/Tagout, Hazardous Communications, Personal Protective Equipment, Hearing Conservation, Blood Borne Pathogens, Forklift.
- Ensure all machine safety-guards are installed, functioning properly, and in use.
- Constant housekeeping to maintain neat and organized work spaces
- Promote top-of-mind safety awareness
- Immediately report all operational concerns and/or potential safety hazards to the Director.
- Immediately report all injuries and/or near misses to the Director.
- Provide timely & accurate reports and information to the operations team & management
- Immediately report equipment issues
- Communicate scheduling needs to management and supervisors
- Communicate preprint issues to management and local & national advertising representatives
Accountabilities: position's primary areas of responsibility include:
Primary; Packaging department operations
Preprint Shipping & Receiving
Delivery dock coordination
Advertising departments (local and national) regarding preprint coordination, scheduling and issues.
- Associate or Bachelor's Degree preferred
- Previous packaging equipment operator experience
- Minimum five years' supervisor / manager experience operating similar equipment
- Lean production / Worksmart fundamentals
- Staff management or supervision experience
- English language fluency: Speaking, reading & writing
- Proficient verbal & written communication skills
- People leadership skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Good math skills
- Financial acumen
- Mechanical aptitude
- PC Skills
- Microsoft Office: E-mail, Excel, Word
- Basic understating of computer networking & electronics
USA TODAY NETWORK is one of the top 20 digital companies in the country, sharing the list with Google, Facebook, and Amazon. And we have over 100 million unique visitors a month, which is more than Buzzfeed, Yahoo News, and Huffington Post. Because our team consists of over 110 local properties with USA TODAY at the helm, you'll have the luxury of living in a community you love while making a national impact.
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Connect with us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Glassdoor, Indeed & The Muse to learn more about our dynamic company culture!
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Miranda’s main goal is creating unique, practical layouts that perfectly pair graphics and content to appeal to users. She considers readability and presentation of magazines paramount.
Back to top