News - Watchdog Reporter
Cape Coral, FL, USA; Fort Myers, FL, USA Req #8163
Monday, August 5, 2019
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of nearly 140 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include the USA TODAY and more than 260 daily local newspaper brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, WordStream, and ThriveHive and U.K. media company Newsquest. There's never been a better time to join our talented team. Visit Gannett.com/Careers to learn more!
The News-Press in Fort Myers, Florida, part of Gannett, Inc. and the USA TODAY NETWORK, seeks a a watchdog reporter to cover Cape Coral, the 9th largest city - and one of the fastest growing - in the state of Florida, one who is an ambitious, self-starter, passionate about making a difference and holding public officials accountable.
This reporter will cover the city, which has a population of 180,000, and how its officials' actions affect its citizens.
He or she will focus on enterprising reporting and investigative coverage, digging into the issues and not settling for simplistic answers. This reporter will follow the money (and those who do the spending) - assuring readers their taxes are being spent wisely - and tell those stories in engaging and innovative ways and on a variety of digital and print platforms. This reporter will help to dissect problems that detract from the quality of life and celebrate those things that make it better. Through a combination of quick hits and deep dives, this reporter will challenge status quo and highlight solutions and tell stories of the extraordinary people and businesses who populate the city.
He or she also will identify issues and trends relevant throughout the state, reporting and writing them from a broad perspective for use across the six markets in the USA TODAY NETWORK - Florida, stretching from the east and west coasts to Tallahassee and Pensacola.
This multimedia journalist should have a track record of finding great stories and be experienced in using social media both in reporting and in promoting them. He or she should be adept at source development; have experience using public records, databases and other digital-focused tools; bring a rock-solid knowledge of AP style; and demonstrate a proven ability to meet daily and weekend deadlines.
This job is based in Fort Myers.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5+ years of professional experience; strong data or investigative internship will be considered.
- Experience with public records is required. Database or computer-assisted reporting skills will set applicants apart from others.
- Speed and fluency with digital platforms and content management systems. This is a must.
- Understanding of how to use social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Reddit and how to tell multimedia stories.
- Experience shooting and editing photos and video on an iPhone.
- Strong communication skills, news judgment and headline-writing ability.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, self-start, multitask, contribute and excel under intense deadline pressure.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
- A curious mind and conversational approach to writing. This is a role that prizes communication, so clarity is key.
- Fast at writing and ability to take coaching well. We will coach for writing style and tone.
- Organizational skill.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
HOW TO APPLY
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, please put together a single document file that includes as much of the following as possible:
1.Your updated resume
2.A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job and why you're a fit.
3.Links to 3-5 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
Our application only allows for one document upload, so it's important that these items be assembled in a single document and uploaded in PDF format.
Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount programs and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is top-notch and the contributions you make up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% company match.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top