News - Sr Director, Digital Content
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal and SweetIQ, and U.K. media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
Senior Digital News Director
Do you have exceptional digital news leadership skills? Would you love to help us grow audience, engagement and digital subscriptions while producing world-class journalism that improves lives and serves democracy? The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel/JSOnline.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for a talented, results-driven journalist with a passion for digital storytelling to serve as our newsroom leader of digital operations. The person in this senior leadership position will play an important role shaping the strategic vision for our digital growth and will help our team execute those strategies at the highest level.
The editor in this role will need great news sense and a deep understanding of how we seek out and build the biggest audiences possible for our content. The ideal candidate is someone who is innovative and experimental, loves to coach others, sets high standards and has a record of developing strategies for growth and engagement. This person will work with the content creation teams to develop strategies for maximizing the impact and delivery of content at optimal times and with audience and platform needs in mind. The director is also a key driver for innovation in digital and social content and products, and will supervise our digital and social desks and operations and all production, including print. The editor serves as a member of the senior newsroom management team and reports to the editor.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Sophisticated knowledge of digital platforms and social media
- Expert knowledge of analytics and other tools to measure reach and impact
- Understanding of audience segments and an ability to identify types of content that will appeal to those target groups - or an understanding of how to tailor content to appeal to them
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers' time and media consumption habits
- Ability to build coalitions around evolving needs
- Self-motivation and self-direction
- Industry knowledge
- Effective communication skills; ability to get along with diverse personalities
- Ability to multitask and excel under deadline pressure in a rapidly changing news environment
- Readiness to apply innovative, creative thinking to support the company's goals
- Command of media law and principles of ethical conduct
TYPICAL JOB DUTIES
- Monitor newsroom's overall progress on daily/weekly/monthly audience goals and KPIs for digital and social, suggesting course changes, noting best practices and offering other feedback as appropriate
- Serve as the key newsroom contact for content management system and other platform questions, concerns and training
- Oversee the planning, programming, production, packaging and promotion of newsroom content across various digital platforms, with an emphasis on mobile platforms
- Oversee "real time" content creation based on trending topics, breaking news and timely, high-utility information
- Make daily content decisions based on news judgment, knowledge of platforms and insights from audience metrics
- Help newsroom understand how audiences consume content across digital platforms
- Work effectively across all divisions (sales, marketing, news) and help set key strategies and direction for the organization
Applicants should send resume and work examples to Kelly Megna: firstname.lastname@example.org
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Back to top