News - Senior Content Strategist
Knoxville, TN, USA Req #9170
Tuesday, August 27, 2019
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of nearly 140 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include the USA TODAY and more than 260 daily local newspaper brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, WordStream, and ThriveHive and U.K. media company Newsquest. There's never been a better time to join our talented team. Visit Gannett.com/Careers to learn more!
SENIOR CONTENT STRATEGIST
The Knoxville News Sentinel and knoxnews.com are seeking an experienced and dynamic journalist to coach reporters, set high standards for breaking and enterprise journalism and help shape and execute the newsroom's strategic vision for digital audience growth.
The ideal candidate will have a track record of innovative daily and enterprise work. This editor will love to build powerful investigative and First Amendment journalism out of our beat coverage, elevating the quality of our report and increasing audience engagement.
This editor will work collaboratively in the newsroom and across the Tennessee and USA TODAY Networks to create consequential journalism. This editor will be well-versed in using metrics to inform beats, platform choices and social media strategies.
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to coach reporters in sophisticated storytelling techniques
- Sharp news judgment
- Ability to work accurately and quickly across multiple platforms during breaking news
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Experience leading quick-turn enterprise off the news of the day
- Experience with public records and databases
- Proficiency in application of analytics and other tools to measure digital audience reach and impact
- Self-motivation and self-direction
- Effective communication skills; ability to get along with diverse personalities
- Ability to multitask and excel under deadline pressure in a rapidly changing news environment
- Command of media law and principles of ethical conduct
- Readiness to apply innovative, creative thinking to support the company's goals
- Ability to work effectively across all divisions, including sales and marketing, to help set and execute audience and revenue growth strategies
The position requires proven experience supervising journalists in a fast-paced digital environment or working as a reporter at a level high enough to demonstrate readiness to move into an editing role.
Qualified applicants must provide resume and cover letter, combined into a single document upload (our application only allows for one upload).
We offer a competitive compensation plan, career growth opportunities and continuous training. We also offer a full benefits package which includes medical, paid time off, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability and employee discounts.
Life in Knoxville
Knoxville combines the best of urban and outdoors life in one of the most beautiful settings in America, on the banks of the Tennessee River and in the shadows of the Great Smoky Mountains. The city is home to the University of Tennessee, which adds even more energy to a dynamic city that hosts internationally recognized chefs, a thriving independent retail scene, world-class outdoors venues, including the renowned urban wilderness, and the elite athletics of the Southeastern Conference.
It's also home to the critically acclaimed Big Ears music festival created by Bonnaroo founder Ashley Capps, who lives here and helps nurture a thriving original music scene that draws artists from across the globe. And the cost of living will blow you away - it's one of the country's more affordable urban areas in state with no income tax.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top