News - Reporter I @ The Journal-Standard
- Freeport, IL
Freeport, IL 61032, USA Req #13903
Monday, February 15, 2021
The Journal-Standard, part of Gannett and the USA TODAY Network, is seeking a journalist who can discover and report on a wide variety of topics, from local government to business, arts or a viral social media post that has caught the attention of people in the Freeport area.
This reporter should be community-oriented, identifying stories that can be uplifting for local residents or hold local government officials accountable.
This reporter should have strong digital skills and a willingness to learn new tools that can enhance their reporting. They must be bold enough to dive into topics they may not be familiar with and report thoroughly enough to explain the subject in simple terms.
• Strong writing and general reporting skills, journalism experience preferred
• Ability to organize multiple assignments and meet deadline
• Willingness to try new approaches to storytelling to engage readers
• Understanding of how to use social media as both a storytelling and news gathering resource
• Ability to work at a fast pace to publish stories online quickly and accurately
• Curiosity about the community and drive to understand and report on difficult-to-answer questions
This job will require work on weekends and some nights
Interested and qualified candidates, please apply here and upload your materials combined into one single document with as much of the following as possible: your updated resume, a brief cover letter explaining your interest and fit for the position, and your portfolio/clips/links to a few samples of your work.
**It's important that these items be combined into a single document attachment/upload (preferably in PDF format). The application will only allow one document upload. Completing these steps will ensure that you receive the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top