The Pacific Daily News, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, has an immediate opening for a Reporter in the Information Center.
This position researches, writes and reports compelling journalism that continuously grows a fan base by informing and engaging readers; acts as a public ambassador through community outreach and connects with readers through social media; provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues; produces watchdog journalism that leads to change; works with the Content Coach and Social Media Manager to shape storytelling to meet audience needs and interests on every platform; and contributes to the community's greater good through impactful journalism.
This reporter will cover primarily entertainment and style topics with urgency and accuracy, with the goal of always being first to report important developing news on our digital platforms, including a heavy focus on video from scenes. This reporter must be competitive and dedicated to accuracy to allow for building a "must-follow" brand for readers interested in breaking news and sports coverage in the market. This requires listening to police scanners, constantly scanning and leveraging social media, making phone calls and seeking out eyewitnesses. This reporter must be capable of posting error-free basic stories to our digital platforms, including sending push alerts and pushing content to social media. You constantly seek to avoid publishing boring traditional content in favor of ideas that will connect with our 25-45 target audience.
Typically you will:
- Create storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics. Work toward becoming the community's leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connect with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Work with Content Coach and Social Media Manager to evaluate what's working and what's not, and develop ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborate with Content Team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Capture basic photos and video as needed.
- Promote your personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Ability to produce top-notch journalism.
- Exceptional cross-platform storytelling skills
- Exceptional core journalism skills (reporting, producing, editing).
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers' time and money.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Advanced knowledge of social media and how to engage fan base on digital platforms in the public space.
- Photo and video skills.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Knows how to use time effectively in a 24-hour news environment.
- Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
- Must embrace peer-to-peer feedback and training.
- Apply innovative, creative thinking to support the company's goals.
- Writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style.
- Industry knowledge.
- Organizational skills.
- Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct.
WORK EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, AND/OR LEVEL OF EDUCATION NECESSARY FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor's in Communications, Journalism or equivalent in experience and education.
- Experience developing a personal brand and fan base.
- Experience with advanced storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
TECHNICAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Understanding use of metrics
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Other: CMS publishing skills
- OTHER SKILLS REQUIRED OF THIS POSITION:
- Social-media skills
- Advanced storytelling skills
- Advanced analytical ability
- Interpersonal skills
- Time management
News often requires employees to work extended hours, evenings, weekends and holidays, sometimes unexpectedly.
What we Offer:
As a part of the USA Today Network, the nation's largest media and marketing solutions company, we offer a dynamic, community-focused environment where individuals are rewarded for exceptional performance. We offer competitive salaries and benefits, including health care, dental and vision coverage, flexible spending account, 401(k), and paid time off. Pre-employment drug testing and background screening are required.
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Connect with us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Glassdoor, Indeed & The Muse to learn more about our dynamic company culture!
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Project Manager, People Division
Jade helps streamline operations while keeping tabs on company culture. Her role goes beyond transactional tasks and includes social engagement and Human Resources communication.
Back to top