Chillicothe, OH 45601, USA • Ohio, USA Req #18239
Monday, August 30, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
We are seeking a general assignment reporter who r esearches, writes and reports compelling journalism that continuously grows a fan base by informing and engaging readers in Ross County. Ohio. The reporter acts as a public ambassador through community outreach and connects with readers through social media. The ideal reporter provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues, produces watchdog journalism that leads to change, and works with the editor to shape storytelling to meet audience needs and interests on every platform. This reporter contributes to the community's greater good through impactful journalism.
Candidates must be naturally curious and motivated, with a proven ability to report compelling stories that resonate with readers. The successful candidate will be comfortable providing context to breaking news or diving deep for revelatory bigger-picture stories. They should be adept using digital reporting tools, knowledgeable about accessing public records and able to analyze data to strengthen reporting. Video skills are a must.
• Will be skilled at reporting, writing and editing
• Will write 6-8 stories per week, including features, breaking news and meeting coverage; must be able to generate story ideas
• Must be able to shoot production-quality photographs
• Must have strong knowledge of AP style and be able to write and edit stories for grammar, spelling, content and libel.
• Must be proficient in social media
• Must be able to develop and maintain relationships with public figures within the communities of coverage
• Demonstrates a consistent effort
• Responds to emails, texts and voicemails in a timely manner
Here's what you need:
• Bachelor's degree in journalism or equivalent
• At least one year of daily journalism experience is preferred.
• Ability to write clear, compelling stories that engage our audience.
• Understanding of social media and how to engage audience on digital platforms.
• Ability to multitask and excel under deadline pressure, using time efficiently.
• Skill at collaborating in a cross-functional environment and adapting in a rapidly changing industry.
• Ability to work well with people and build relationships in the community.
Valid driver's license is required
This job may include some evening and weekend work
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee's race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicant's disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals' application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.'s Recruitment Department at Recruit@gannett.com.
Back to top