News Planner - The Courier Journal
Kentucky, USA • Louisville, KY, USA Req #14680
Sunday, June 13, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Regional News Planner
The Courier Journal / courierjournal.com, an award-winning news site in Louisville, Kentucky, and part of the USA TODAY Network, has an opening for a regional planner to manage the delivery of content to our digital and print platforms.
T he planner works with newsrooms across the region to orchestrate which content to publish, when, and on which platforms, using a strategic approach to drive audience and subscription growth. The planner ensures that the right content is delivered to the right audience, in the right way, on the right platforms, at the right time. This strategic approach allows us to attract new audiences, deepen our connection with them, convert them into paying supporters and keep them for life.
Planners will be part of a regional desk operation for 35-plus newspapers in Illinois, Indiana and Kentucky. A strong collaborator, the planner liaisons with newsrooms and other partners in the network to ensure we are making data-driven, daily content decisions that develop a deeper relationship with our audience. In collaboration with the local newsroom editor, the planner has the authority to enforce deadlines. The planner acts as a project manager with newsroom staff to connect our best journalism with audiences and drive subscription growth. A strong communicator and multitasker, the planner understands that planning is of foundational importance to quality journalism and products, both for print and digital.
Knowledge and skills:
- Knowledge of audience analytic tools such as Google Analytics, Parse.ly Facebook, Twitter, and the ability to interpret and apply such data.
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Knowledge of social media and customer feedback tools, including how to respond and engage customers on digital platforms in the public space.
- Ability to create detailed plans for projects, special events and enterprise content that connects with audiences on multiple platforms, both print and digital.
- Understanding of and curiosity about the audience development funnel.
- Expertise in digital programming for desktop, mobile, tablet, social and emerging platforms.
- Exceptional core journalism skills (news judgment, reporting, producing, editing).
- Excellent coaching and team-building skills.
- Self-motivation and self-direction. Able to work independently.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company's goals.
- Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct.
- Bachelor's degree
- Three to five years of news experience.
- Previous management experience is a plus, but not required.
- Proven proficiency in digital information programming by platform.
- Strong communication and collaboration experience.
- Exposure to deadline-driven environment.
- Working hours will be Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. in most cases. But hours are subject to change as news dictates.
- Planners will consistently work with the same newsrooms/publications but will be cross-trained on other publications and may be called on to fill in elsewhere during vacation and PTO periods.
- Remote work may be considered. Options will be explored for planners to work out of local newsrooms if logistics permit.
- Occasional travel may be required.
- News often requires employees to work extended hours, evenings, weekends and holidays, sometimes unexpectedly.
Qualified candidates should include cover letter, resume and salary requirements when applying. Application only allows for one document upload, so please combine your materials. Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer background check and/or drug screen.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top