News - Executive Editor
- Evansville, IN
Evansville, IN, USA Req #10904
Monday, July 13, 2020
News - Executive Editor / Southern State Editor Indiana
We are looking for an innovative, strategic and transformational editor to lead our Evansville, Indiana, newsroom and oversee several other news organizations in the southern part of the state.
If you love setting coverage priorities and are good at it, if you see it as a challenge to raise the quality of journalism and increase loyal digital readership and have a proven track record of doing so, and if you embrace inspiring and developing others and they attribute their success to you, then we can't wait to meet you.
It is also imperative that this leader embrace and drive diversity and inclusion in our storytelling, within our staff and within the community. No excuse.
Innovation in storytelling and in developing new products and initiatives is also important, as well as experience integrating newsrooms to think big, bold and regionally while serving their local communities.
Interested editors must also understand how to use our resources to cover the most important and pressing topics that our readers value and will pay for to drive engagement. You must also understand social media and video and mobile strategies. The ideal candidate will embrace evaluating everything from our structure to our technological and training needs and must have a track record of thinking "yes we can" instead of always "no, how can we?"
Without a doubt, this editor must see investigative and watchdog journalism as the key to the newsroom's mission and have a track record of doing so.
The winning candidate will work with other editors in the Midwest and be a collaborator within the region, but also with other editors and newsrooms across the USA TODAY Network, which includes USA TODAY and more than 260 dailies and hundreds of weeklies.
This position reports to the Network's Midwest Regional Editor.
• Uphold the highest journalism standards across digital and print platforms, strongly support the First Amendment and conceive, pursue and execute watchdog reporting.
• Provide exemplary leadership and execute the strategic vision.
• Develop and implement a multi-platform digital vision for mobile, social and video, focused on achieving target audience specific goals and objectives.
• Increase journalistic quality and storytelling across all areas of coverage.
• Lead the planning and oversee execution of content strategies with a keen eye focused on growth audiences. Creativity and an ability to develop and execute innovative approaches are essential.
• Excellent personal leadership, change management and ability to collaborate and influence cross-functionally-can conduct a dialogue that is intellectually honest, brings out diversity of ideas and creates the appropriate integration/connectivity.
• Strong communicator of the company's strategic initiatives, purpose, vision, culture and plan.
• Experience as a respected journalism leader, with emphasis on digital content and storytelling platforms.
• Experience in high-level decision-making with complex, impactful or sensitive news content.
• A history of successful leadership, innovation and goal achievement.
• Demonstrated change leader who collaborates and communicates effectively.
• Personal charisma, comfortable with public speaking and a commitment to staff interaction.
• Understanding of the changing media landscape and ability to adapt strategies that address continually changing market and consumer needs and desires.
• Strong competitive instincts and intellectual curiosity.
• Ability to effectively manage and coordinate in an environment of accountability.
• Track record in recruiting a highly successful leadership team.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top