News Director/Strategist - Entertainment
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal and SweetIQ, and U.K. media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
The Arizona Republic/azcentral.com is seeking a news director/strategist to lead entertainment coverage.
This position guides coaches, planners, producers and reporters in making daily and long-term strategic decisions aimed at growing audience across products, with a special emphasis on digital, mobile and public engagement. This person leads a department of journalists to provide outstanding writing, editing, packaging and engagement.
This news director relentlessly monitors metrics and manages staff to boost reader satisfaction, visits and page views among our target audiences. The ideal candidate innovates, experiments and encourages team members to do the same. He or she acts as the newsroom liaison on special entertainment initiatives and collaborates with peers in marketing, advertising and other departments.
- Maintain a daily focus on high quality and relevant passion topic coverage, including dining, events, arts, things to do and Arizona travel.
- Establish weekly and monthly strategic goals for content coaches, planners, producers and reporters.
- Maintain the department's editorial planning calendar.
- Identify enterprise and other projects to contribute to the newsroom's overall coverage goals.
- Identify public engagement opportunities that sync up with the department's journalism.
- Provide outstanding customer service helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- More than five years of media management experience.
- Proven proficiency in applying analytics to content strategy.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills.
- Exposure to deadline-driven environment.
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills.
- Social-media and SEO knowledge.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Strong grasp of journalism skills (reporting and editing) and advanced knowledge of writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company's goals.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Steven serves as a point person of contact with businesses in local markets. He works with partner organizations to determine how USA TODAY can help them be successful.
Back to top