News Director - El Paso Times
- El Paso, TX
El Paso, TX, USA Req #8613
Tuesday, January 7, 2020
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of nearly 140 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include the USA TODAY and more than 260 daily local newspaper brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, WordStream, and ThriveHive and U.K. media company Newsquest. There's never been a better time to join our talented team. Visit Gannett.com/Careers to learn more!
The award-winning El Paso Times in El Paso, Texas, is seeking a dynamic and transformational leader to serve as its next news director.
The successful candidate will be a seasoned news leader who can articulate a strategic vision for the future of the El Paso Times, while setting and executing coverage priorities. This person will have the skills to both raise the quality level of the journalism and increase the news organization's digital audience. The right candidate will have a proven track record of high-impact enterprise editing and innovation in storytelling across multiple platforms.
We are looking for someone with expertise in multiple areas of coverage, as well as emerging media, mobile, social media and video strategy, and use of data to drive engagement and traffic. Applicants should have a clear understanding of how to target specific audiences and how to effectively engage readers in the digital space and in person. The right candidate will have the experience and ability to assess structure, personnel and technological needs, and to make necessary changes.
The news director will collaborate with the Texas-New Mexico leadership team and across the USA TODAY Network, which encompasses USA TODAY and 109 local news brands.
Last year, The El Paso Times earned a share of journalism's most prestigious award, the Pulitzer Prize for explanatory journalism, for contributions it made to a project on the proposed border wall led by the Arizona Republic.
The news director will serve as a community-facing editor in El Paso and will report to the executive editor. The role also requires leading purposeful enterprise reporting efforts in the Texas-New Mexico region.
• Uphold the highest journalism standards across digital and print platforms, strongly support the First Amendment and conceive, pursue and execute watchdog reporting.
• Provide exemplary leadership and execute the strategic vision.
• Develop and implement a multi-platform digital vision for mobile, social and video, focused on achieving target audience specific goals and objectives.
• Increase journalistic quality and storytelling across all areas of coverage.
• Lead the planning and oversee execution of content strategies with a keen eye focused on growth audiences. Creativity and an ability to develop and execute innovative approaches are essential.
• Excellent personal leadership, change management and ability to collaborate and influence cross functionally-can conduct a dialogue that is intellectually honest, brings out diversity of ideas and creates the appropriate integration/connectivity.
• Strong communicator of the company's strategic initiatives, purpose, vision, culture and plan.
• Experience as a respected journalism leader, with emphasis on digital content and storytelling platforms.
• Experience in high-level decision-making with complex, impactful or sensitive news content.
• Track record in recruiting a highly successful leadership team.
• A history of successful leadership, innovation and goal achievement.
• Demonstrated change leader who collaborates and communicates effectively.
• Personal charisma, comfortable with public speaking and a commitment to staff interaction.
• Strong competitive instincts.
• Ability to effectively manage and coordinate in an environment of accountability.
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount programs and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is top-notch and the contributions you make up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% company match.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top