- Des Moines, IA
Des Moines, IA, USA Req #11191
Saturday, August 8, 2020
The Des Moines Register /desmoinesregister.com , part of the USA TODAY NETWORK and a Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper, is seeking an inspirational, results-driven content director to guide our newsroom in producing impactful journalism that benefits the public and grows target audiences. This position reports directly to the executive editor and along with the digital director leads the day-to-day operations of the newsroom.
He or she will direct coaches responsible for all content creation, including investigations, breaking news, community news and sports. The content director helps shape and execute the Register's strategic vision for digital audience growth.
The ideal candidate will have a track record of guiding innovative, revelatory investigative and enterprise work. He or she will love to coach other editors and reporters, setting high standards, elevating the quality of our journalism and increasing audience engagement. He or she also will be well-versed in using metrics to shape beats, platform choices and social media strategies.
Des Moines is a growing capital city that has become a magnet for young professionals, attracted by an expanding job base and a vibrant cultural and arts scene.
The Des Moines Register has a long history of results-driven political coverage that helps set and shape the discussion of issues facing our state and country. You will join a talented roster of journalists who make up our team.
The Des Moines Register is a 17-time Pulitzer Prize winner. We reach readers across the state with our daily Des Moines Register editions, our award-winning DesMoinesRegister.com website and various nondaily publications.
- Coach reporters and editors in sophisticated storytelling techniques for digital platforms and print.
- Lead the staff in developing exclusive enterprise and investigations that prompt action and improve community life.
- Use analytics and other tools to shape coverage that continuously grows the digital audience and drives subscriptions.
- Act as a public ambassador through community outreach and connect with readers through social media.
- Recruit and nurture a diverse, skilled staff and elevate their skills through coaching and training.
- Work with peer leaders, including in sales and marketing, to help set and execute audience and revenue growth strategies.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least five years of journalism management experience.
- Sharp news judgment.
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
- Expert knowledge of analytics and other tools to measure digital audience reach and impact.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Effective communication skills; ability to get along with diverse personalities.
- Ability to multitask and excel under deadline pressure in a rapidly changing news environment.
- Readiness to apply innovative, creative thinking to support the company's goals.
- Command of media law and principles of ethical conduct.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume - one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top