News - Business Reporter
- Sioux Falls, SD
Sioux Falls, SD, USA Req #10446
Tuesday, March 3, 2020
The Argus Leader and the Sioux Falls Business Journal are seeking a Business Reporter to join our team.
Sioux Falls is a growing, bustling and changing community. From health care and agriculture to breweries and tech startups, there are a plethora of interesting and important stories to tell. I
We are looking for a reporter who is passionate about business and real estate news, with a reader-focused mindset. A journalist who can work larger enterprise stories while also producing a steady stream of audience-grabbing updates. A strategic thinker who can analyze metrics, experiment with new storytelling forms and ride trending topics.
Our reporters shoot video, engage audience members on social media, mine social media for story ideas and sources and use the right tools and platforms to reach key audience groups. We sometimes speak to community groups or moderate panels to promote our brand and show our expertise.
• Research, report and produce compelling content that continuously grows an audience base by informing and engaging readers.
• Use live video to spotlight breaking news and high-interest events.
• Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues. Produce watchdog journalism that leads to change.
• Use real-time metrics to respond to user demand and reader interest.
• Work with newsroom leaders to shape storytelling to meet audience needs and interests tailored to appropriate platforms.
• Contribute to the community's greater good through impactful journalism.
• Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications or a related field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Minimum of two years' reporting/newsroom experience.
• Strong self-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
• Comfortable using social media such as Instagram, Twitter and Facebook to enhance reporting and promote stories.
• Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
• Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
• This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer drug screen and background check.
When applying, please include a single document with as much of the following as possible: a brief cover letter explaining your interest and fit for the position, your updated resume, and portfolio/clips/links to a few samples of your work. It's important that these items be combined into a single document, preferably in PDF format. The application will only allow one document upload. Completing these steps will ensure that you receive the highest consideration.
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount programs and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is top-notch and the contributions you make up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% company match.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top