Albany, NY, USA • New York, USA Req #18711
Wednesday, September 29, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
New York State Growth and Transportation Reporter
The USA TODAY Network New York State Team seeks a New York State Growth and Transportation Reporter based in the state's Capital District. Data skills considered a key element of this role.
This reporter makes it a mission to inform and engage readers about economic growth, the adequacy of transportation systems and government accountability in meeting these key needs across the Empire State.
The job also entails some coverage of relevant state government news ranging from election coverage to highlights of some new state laws and budget developments.
Nearly always, this reporter provides people-centered, community-centered reporting and succinct analysis of complex issues and trends. Success comes through much unique and distinctive reporting or helpful FAQ stories and not simply through covering news du jour .
This reporter reaches new and current readers upstate and downstate through immediacy, enterprise reporting and riveting storytelling. Success comes through development of relationships with business and government sources, citizens and experts, as well as with fellow journalists at 12 local Gannett sites and on Gannett's New York State Team of which this reporter is a member.
This reporter also mines public data in order to provide unique insight into:
* the impact, effectiveness and cost of economic-development efforts across the state, not simply in Gannett markets;
* the impact, effectiveness and cost of interstate, state and local highway management initiatives and construction projects, of efforts to provide more passenger train service (Amtrak, Metro-North) and of the operations of public transit systems, particularly during the ongoing pandemic.
* efforts to wean New Yorkers off of gasoline-powered vehicles and into electric and other vehicles or onto alternative modes of transportation including bicycles, and how well the economic incentives, roads and streets programs and other government initiatives support such transitions.
The growth and transportation reporter will work at times in partnership with USA TODAY Network and local business and government reporters throughout New York and the Atlantic region and sometimes beyond. This reporter works with the New York state editor, videographers, producers and others to plan and deliver content for readers on mobile devices.
An ideal candidate is someone capable of quickly establishing their voice and building a loyal following on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. They will deliver a mix of breaking news, compelling profiles, trend pieces, long-term enterprise, compelling multimedia assets and social engagement.
- Strong writing skills and a command of grammar and style.
- Knowledge of data-based reporting and use of spreadsheets such as Excel.
- Experience with social media, including Instagram Stories, as a tool to build audience and as a source for beat development.
- Experience with and interest in multimedia, including video and podcasting.
- A self-starter who owns the beat yet works collaboratively with others locally and regionally to meet common goals.
- A journalist committed to values of fairness, diversity, inclusion and professionalism.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent professional experience.
- At least two years of applicable experience as a reporter/writer.
- Proven experience with content management systems and social media channels.
- Good time management and organizational skills.
• Your resume - one to two pages
• A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job
• Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've written, produced, or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee's race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicant's disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals' application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.'s Recruitment Department at Recruit@gannett.com.