Virtual Req #19654
Tuesday, November 23, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
USA TODAY Sports Media Group, part of the USA TODAY Network, is seeking a dynamic, NBA-obsessed, forward-thinking digital editor to serve as our NBA Wires Editor. This editor will provide hands-on management of our nine NBA Wires sites. The purpose of this role is to help write, edit, plan and manage news and digital content for the NBA Wire websites.
In total, SMG's highly popular NBA Wires consist of 9 individual websites in total - providing coverage of the top teams in the NBA, along with sites devoted to LeBron James, Lonzo and LaMelo Ball and the Rookie Wire. The ideal candidate is an/a innovative, thorough, communicative, team-oriented writer/editor with a deep understanding and awareness of NBA history, news and transactions. The ideal candidate also has a deep knowledge of 1-2 NBA teams, to the degree where he/she/they could provide expert written coverage - including breaking news - of said team on a daily basis. Working nights-and-weekend shifts will also be required. College basketball knowledge is also a plus.
• Oversee/manage editorial content and workflow for 9 sites, as well as the writers providing news and updates for each of those sites
• Schedule content and direct work efforts for big games and key dates and key dates (NBA Finals, NBA Playoffs, NBA Draft, All-Star Game, Hall of Fame Induction, etc.), including, but not limited to: matchup video, podcasts, guiding brainstorming sessions with groups and individual site voices, communicating group-worthy content opportunities.
• Help to identify and communicate story ideas and angles for big games and key moments, including, but not limited to: Posting original and network-generated content on other sites
• Moderate and lead Slack/work-based communication for assignments that touch multiple teams
• Handle and manage comms. within the group; help liaise with HoopsHype As needed
• Train new hires As needed
• Write 6-8 posts per day on his/her/their own team site
• Serve as Site Editor/"Team Voice" for one of the 9 sites, in order to set examples of what we expect from Site Editors in terms of production and quality.
• Backread and/or edit, as needed, posts on any of the NBA Wires when working a "newsdesk" shift
• Write posts (breaking news or other needed content) for any of the other team sites as needed
• Moderate user comments on blog posts
• Help invoicing process at the direction of the Managing Editor, up to and including: Counting and confirming monthly bonus metrics for independent contractors (posts written, writer traffic, etc.), delivering invoice information to necessary parties, notifying contractor/senior editor of issues
• Primary area of editorial responsibility will be USA Today SMG NBA Wires, but there will also be some potential to collaborate with the teams at HoopsHype, FTW (For The Win), Bet FTW and the Sportsbook Wire, in addition to other SMG and USA Today Sports properties.
- College degree (B.A. in journalism preferred)
- NBA writing and digital content experience (1 year minimum). Multisport writing, including college basketball, experience a plus.
- Very strong working knowledge of the NBA and basketball overall, including: NBA Draft, free agency, key statistical and advanced-analytics trends, and the latest NBA social media news.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee's race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicant's disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals' application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.'s Recruitment Department at Recruit@gannett.com.