National Political Reporter
Washington, DC, USA Req #7378
Monday, February 25, 2019
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, SweetIQ, and United Kingdom media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
USA TODAY is looking for a national political reporter to join its politics team. This is a high-profile role for a reporter who wants to be a part of our coverage of the 2020 election as well as the overall national political landscape. We're looking for someone who can focus on bigger-picture and enterprise stories, taking readers behind the scenes and to places they wouldn't otherwise go. Our ideal candidate has strong storytelling skills, a range of writing styles and the judgment to know which circumstances call for which approach. A willingness to experiment with innovative ways to tell stories for a mobile audience is a plus.
While this reporter would be a part of our 30-person Washington Bureau, he or she should spend time outside the office and around the country, looking for stories and talking to real people.
She or he will also partner with other journalists on video, graphics and data visualization, innovative mobile presentations, and stories from around the country.
This reporter will also have:
- A fine-tuned sense of right and wrong and a keen understanding of how to make complex topics relatable.
- A deep understanding of how to use records and data to answer questions.
- The ability and willingness to collaborate with reporters at USA TODAY and across the Network to identify and execute distinctive journalism.
- A passion for politics.
- The organizational ability to manage projects and juggle short-term and long-term reporting efforts.
- The ability to digest large amounts of information, "see the story," and execute with urgency as needed
- Excellent storytelling skills
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume - one to two pages
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've written, produced, or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top