The Salinas Californian, a digitally focused newsroom that also produces one of the state's oldest continuously published print newspapers, seeks a reporter with multimedia experience and a passion for covering a newsy and diverse community in a coastal agricultural region known as "America's Salad Bowl."
Candidates bilingual in Spanish will be given special consideration.
The successful candidate researches, writes, shoots, films and produces compelling journalism that continuously grows a loyal audience by informing and engaging readers. She or he acts as a public ambassador through community outreach and connects with readers and viewers through social media; provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues reinforced with compelling photos and videos; works with a sense of urgency and a commitment to reaching readers and viewers regardless of the medium.
TYPICAL JOB DUTIES
- Finds and tells stories that accurately inform, entertain and engage our audience.
- Focuses on specific topic areas but covers breaking news and anything else that needs covered.
- Acts as the community's leading watchdog in area of expertise.
- Shoots photos and videos with nearly every story and handles basic editing of both.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on-camera, forums, etc.)
- Works with coaches, editors and others to evaluate what's working and not, and develops ongoing plans to better serve the audience.
- Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and The Californian.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Performs other duties as necessary.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Exceptional core journalism skills (reporting, producing, editing).
- Working facility with camera equipment, photo and video editing programs.
- Deep desire to find and tell stories that resonate with readers and make a difference.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Fluency with social media and how to find stories, make contacts and promote great content on social platforms.
- Effective communication; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Ability to multi-task and excel under continual deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Time management and prioritization skills.
- Strong team attitude, ability to embrace peer-to-peer feedback and training.
- Standard writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style knowledge of a professional journalist.
- Understanding of media law and ethics. Complete commitment to the ethical standards of the profession.
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Connect with us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Glassdoor, Indeed & The Muse to learn more about our dynamic company culture!
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Miranda’s main goal is creating unique, practical layouts that perfectly pair graphics and content to appeal to users. She considers readability and presentation of magazines paramount.
Back to top