Milwaukee Suburbs Reporter
- Milwaukee, WI
Milwaukee, WI, USA Req #11129
Tuesday, July 21, 2020
Reporter I - Suburbs Reporter
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel/ jsonline.com , part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a digital-first reporter to help cover suburbs in the Milwaukee area.
We're looking for an energetic journalist who has solid reporting and writing skills, natural curiosity and a gift for telling stories in a multimedia environment.
The successful applicant must bring an audience-growth mindset to the job and be able to identify emerging stories that will help bring in new readers. This includes being able to determine the best way to tell individual stories, from text to audio to video to Q&A or other alternative formats. He or she must have a passion for telling stories quickly when needed, in-depth when called for, and always with accuracy.
The priority is to write stories in a timely manner for posting online. Some will also appear in the zoned weekly Now publications. The reporter will cover general assignments and breaking news in the Milwaukee suburbs.
This position reports to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel communities editor.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- This reporter will cultivate relationships with city, county and school officials, business leaders and community stakeholders.
- Serve as a public ambassador for our brand through community outreach and connecting with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Report quickly, clearly and accurately and deliver news, via stories, video, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or any other methods available to reach our audience.
- Use metrics to inform story choices and shape beat strategies.
- Has a genuine interest in people and ability to build trust.
- Writes and/or produces multimedia content that appeals to key audience targets and maximizes user experience on digital and social platforms to reach readers where they spend their time and attention.
- Engages on social media with sources and audience.
- Experiments with new ways of informing and engaging audiences on social platforms and alternate storyforms.
- Bachelor's or master's in Communications, Journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience. We will also consider candidates with significant intern experience.
- Minimum of 1-2 years' reporting/newsroom experience (including college programs).
- Familiarity with the suburbs of Southeastern Wisconsin is a plus.
- Adept at taking photos and video and will file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and drug screen (for driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume - one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here's what we have to offer:
At Gannett, we offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package including, but not limited to, medical, dental, vision, life insurance, reimbursement & spending accounts, voluntary benefits, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits.
You are also immediately eligible to participate in the 401(k) Plan where company match is discretionary. If you take no action to either enroll or opt out of the 401(k) Plan within your first 60 days of employment you will be automatically enrolled with a pre-tax deduction of 2% of your eligible pay.
Full-time and part-time employees regularly scheduled to work 30 or more hours a week are eligible for all Gannett benefits. Your benefits eligibility effective date is the first of the month following your date of hire.
Employees working 29 hours or less a week are eligible for the 401(k) Savings Plan, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Yo-Fi Wellness, Hyatt Legal Plan, LifeLock Identity Theft Protection, Pet Insurance and the YouDecide Employee Discounts Program.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top