Virtual Req #19920
Tuesday, November 30, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
Managing Editor, Outdoors Content Initiative
USA TODAY Sports Media Group, part of the USA TODAY Network, is seeking a dynamic and forward-thinking candidate to lead our new Outdoors vertical. The ideal candidate is an innovative, thorough, team-oriented, and strategic editor with the ability to create original content, as well as help manage a team of writers and editors as needed.
He/she should also possess a deep understanding of the outdoors, recreation, wildlife, and intriguing stories in the space. The ideal candidate will be able to craft coverage areas and react to audience data to grow the site rapidly. Knowledge of equipment coverage and affiliate linking a major plus.
- Assign, edit and write daily outdoors content, with an eye toward becoming an authoritative voice in the space.
- Strategize audience growth with a strong eye toward SEO and building community.
- Manage other writers with regards to content execution.
- Post to social media accounts on Facebook and Twitter as needed, work with social media managers across USA TODAY Sports Media Group to find best ways to deliver outdoors content across platforms.
- Collaborate with Reviewed.com and other USA TODAY properties to provide in-depth equipment coverage and reviews.
- Strong knowledge of audience growth through social media platforms.
- Stay abreast of broad analytic trends for the site, including page views and unique users.
- Liaison with key representatives for other SMG sites, USA TODAY Sports, and the USA TODAY Network of properties.
- Train new writers and editors in editorial guidelines and publishing methods as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Outdoors content experience (2 years minimum). Site leadership experience a bonus. Wordpress CMS and SEO knowledge both a plus.
- A history of successful leadership, innovation, and goal achievement.
- Demonstrated change leader who collaborates and communicates effectively.
- Deep knowledge of the outdoors content space.
- Understanding of the changing media landscape and ability to adapt strategies that address continually changing market and consumer needs and desires.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee's race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicant's disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals' application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.'s Recruitment Department at Recruit@gannett.com.