California, USA • Victorville, CA, USA Req #19135
Friday, October 15, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Victorville Daily Press/Desert Dispatch/ vvdailypress.com/desert-dispatch , part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, in Victorville, California, seeks a dynamic, results-driven editor to lead the newsroom in producing meaningful journalism that serves local communities and grows our digital audience.
The editor will be responsible for overseeing the Daily Press as well as weekly publications such as the Lucerne Valley Leader and the Desert Dispatch.
The editor will supervise reporters' day-to-day activities, act as a mentor and coach, produce print budgets and ensure stories are accurate and meaningful. This role includes reporting as needed, as well as regular work with freelancers and community contributors.
As an editor, you will use metrics and audience research to guide decisions about covering topics and issues that will drive digital audience growth. You'll also directly engage the community - in person, through our own products and through social media.
This editor must effectively collaborate with regional digital producers and a centralized print design center. The office is in Victorville, but the successful candidate can live anywhere in the Victorville region and a hybrid work arrangement (splitting time between in-office and working from home) is acceptable.
The Victorville Daily Press, related weeklies, and its digital products are produced by a small newsroom consisting of an editor and four reporters. Our newspapers have been a pillar of their communities for decades. We cover a large area, including the communities of Victorville, Apple Valley, Adelanto, Hesperia, Barstow and Lucerne Valley.
The county, San Bernardino, is the largest by area in the United States and we are close both to the urban attractions of Los Angeles and remote retreats like Joshua Tree National Park.
Excellent news judgment and editing skills are a must. A successful candidate will embrace the latest developments in digital technology and social media and will experiment with innovative approaches to build digital subscribers and social media followers.
This is an ideal position for a roll-up-your-sleeves self-starter who yearns to run a newsroom and likes coaching reporters - and knows how to help them elevate their work. The position requires a bachelor's degree and three to five years of experience in journalism writing, editing or management roles.
- Help reporters hone skills in a wide range of storytelling: from real-time digital updates to narrative storytelling to investigative reporting, employing alternative story forms and multimedia.
- Collaborate with senior editors to define strategic priorities and beat structures that deepen engagement with the community and make the most of reporting resources.
- Use metrics and analytics to increase digital audience and engagement and grow digital subscriptions.
- Work closely with newsrooms and editors other USA TODAY Network newsrooms across California.
- Serve as an ambassador to the community. This may include taking calls and handling concerns from community members and subscribers.
- Apply innovative, creative thinking to support the company's goals.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3-5 years of experience in journalism writing, editing or management roles and demonstration of strong editing skills.
- Solid news judgment.
- Willingness to be a teacher, not just an editor.
- Ability to experiment and think creatively.
- Ability to be a team player who likes to collaborate with coworkers.
- Top-notch planning, organizational and time management skills.
- Command of media law and principles of ethical conduct.
- Understanding of metrics, social media and SEO.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Ability to multitask and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check.
1. Your resume - one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job and your management experience.
3. Links to 5 examples of work that you have authored or edited. Ideally, you can provide an annotated version of a journalistic work, demonstrating how you shaped the final product through coaching, line editing and other feedback. Describe obstacles encountered during the process and how you overcame them.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.