Manager, Audience Development - Detroit Free Press
Detroit, MI, USA • Michigan, USA Req #14137
Thursday, February 25, 2021
News - Manager, Audience Development
Gannett Michigan, part of the USA Today Network, is hiring a manager to supervise programming and optimizing journalism for subscribers, on platform and off, at multiple publications throughout the state.While primarily responsible for their team development and performance, they will also work alongside their team when necessary.
The candidate must have good news judgment and an entrepreneurial spirit and should have prior digital news or story-packaging experience. The ideal candidate will be a strong collaborator who can work closely with reporters, editors and leadership in multiple newsrooms and is comfortable managing through change. Candidates also should be comfortable and proficient in a fast-paced environment, responding accurately and appropriately to breaking news.
Candidates should demonstrate a strong understanding of audience metrics, engagement tactics, SEO and social optimization with the goal of growing audience. This role may include early morning, night and/or weekend work and occasional travel .
- Three to five years of digital news experience
- Prior management experience and/or leading remote teams and mentoring team members
- Bachelor's in Communication, Journalism, or equivalent experience and education
- Top-notch writing , editing and headline-writing skills
- Excellent news judgment
- Strong programming skills
- Ability to act calmly and decisively in complex breaking news situations
- Knowledge of AP Style
- Proficiency on social media platforms including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Reddit and YouTube
- Experience with editing video
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities and communicate goals
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing industry
- Knows how to use time efficiently in a 24-hour newsroom
- Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top