Madison County Reporter
- Asheville, NC
Asheville, NC, USA ● Madison County, NC, USA Req #13090
Tuesday, December 29, 2020
Madison County Reporter
The News-Record & Sentinel / citizen-times.com/local/news-record-and-sentinel, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a reporter/coordinator to tell the stories of communities in Madison County and its communities.
The ideal candidate is curious, digitally savvy, organized and a self-starter who works well independently and is a versatile reporter and writer. This position involves both digital-first reporting of community news and production of a weekly print newspaper.
This reporter continuously grows audience by informing and engaging readers; acts as an ambassador for The News-Record & Sentinel by connecting with readers on social media and in the community; provides thoughtful analysis of complex community issues; works with a design team and a digital team to best position stories and photos online and in print.
Photography experience is helpful. Night and weekend work will be occasionally required.
The News-Record & Sentinel is a weekly paper based in Marshall, NC. It is part of the Asheville, N.C. metropolitan statistical area that is home to spectacular mountain views and known for its arts and crafts, music and recreation.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Works toward becoming the community's leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connects with the community through storytelling.
- Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Works with content coach and digital partners to evaluate what's working and what's not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with photographers to provide all appropriate elements for stories. Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor's or master's in communications, Journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least 2 years' experience in reporting, with some work in government coverage and mining of public records.
- Advanced knowledge of social media and customer feedback tools, including how to respond to and engage customers on digital platforms in the public space.
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our audience's time and money.
- Proficiency on social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Reddit.
- Energetic self-starter and a fast thinker who can spot stories that matter.
- Experience shooting and editing photos and video on an iPhone.
- Strong communication skills, news judgement and headline-writing ability.
- Ability to multitask and excel under intense deadline pressure.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently with a team of journalists.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
- Command of media law and principles of ethical conduct.
- This position involves an early start to the day and occasional weekend work.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume - one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 5-10 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top