Machinist - Technical Services
Machinist, Full time
Michigan.com, including the Detroit Free Press and The Detroit News, part of the USA Today Network, is seeking a Machinist to work on our Technical Team at our Sterling Heights Operational facility.
Machinists are skilled workers who are able to perform complex operations on many kinds of machine tools, including drill presses, lathes, milling machines, boring machines, and precision grinding machines. Some outside work required. They have a solid background in breakdowns, trouble shooting, general maintenance of mechanical equipment with the ability to read blue prints and pneumatic schematics.
Use power-operated machine tools that mass produce metal parts and tools. These are precision parts and tools used in building various kinds of engines, machinery, and other products.
Review blueprints and specifications of a particular product and plan the production process, including where and how to cut the work piece, the correct tools and materials for the job, and the sequence of steps to follow in production of the product.
Perform machining operations, watch for problems in the production process, and check the accuracy of the finished piece against blueprints.
Provide on-the-spot troubleshooting and repairs of production equipment, building equipment, distribution and packaging equipment, and any other equipment as needed.
- Technical education and experience.
- Good background in breakdowns, trouble shooting, general maintenance of mechanical equipment with the ability to read blue prints and pneumatic schematics.
- Hold thorough knowledge of many kinds of machine tools. Increasingly use computer numerically controlled machines.
- Complete knowledge of machine shop equipment (lathes, bridge port, mills, drills, welding, etc.) and precision tools.
- Stay abreast of breaking technologies, constantly learn new techniques and learn how to operate new machines.
- Ability to demonstrate professional interpersonal skills with internal and external customers.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of company information.
- Ability to adhere to company policies and departmental standard operating procedures, along with applicable laws and regulations.
- Ability to prepare reports accurately and within deadlines.
- Excellent organizational skills. Ability to coordinate several tasks simultaneously within a fast paced environment.
About USA TODAY NETWORK:
The USA TODAY NETWORK is the largest local to national media network in the country. Powered by integrated and award-winning news organizations with deep roots in 92 local communities, plus USA TODAY, the multiplatform news network informs and engages more than 100 million people every month through its diverse portfolio of digital, mobile, and publishing products. To connect with us, visit http://www.gannett.com/
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, disability education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Miranda’s main goal is creating unique, practical layouts that perfectly pair graphics and content to appeal to users. She considers readability and presentation of magazines paramount.
Back to top