Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal and SweetIQ, and U.K. media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
The USA TODAY Lifestyle Editor will manage content strategy, planning and editing for three key topic areas under the USA TODAY Life umbrella: music, parenting (AlltheMoms.com) and food & dining. The editor will oversee the daily coverage plan for these topic areas, as well as the long term strategic vision. The ideal candidate will have experience with news teams operating on a 24-7 cycle and be comfortable in an environment that uses data to inform editorial judgment. Flexible hours are required, and this position is located in McLean, Va., at USA TODAY Network headquarters.
Specific duties include:
• Plan and edit daily music, parenting and food & dining coverage for USA TODAY's national audience across platforms including digital and social.
• Serve as the network liaison with all USA TODAY Network music writers and editors; surface network content to USAT (local to national) and let the network editors know what would be of interest to their audiences (national to local).
• Grow the national audience of AlltheMoms.com, USA TODAY Network's parenting blog, by planning content that resonates with readers and advertisers.
• Serve as a bridge and strategist between Grateful.com and USA TODAY Network sites. Work to heighten the visibility and performance of Grateful content on USA TODAY Life sites and offer Network content to Grateful that meets their audience objectives.
• Develop food & dining editorial content that complements USA TODAY's Wine & Food Experience Tour events.
• Work collaboratively with marketing and advertising departments to position music, AlltheMoms.com and food & dining for maximum exposure and profitability.
• Uphold the highest standards of journalistic integrity and credibility.
• Lead planning and oversee execution of department specific content strategies.
• Able to develop and execute innovative approaches.
• Grow audience and engagement via targeted content.
• Coordinate and communicate with USA TODAY editors, the USA TODAY news hub and other Network properties.
• Have expert knowledge of audience engagement tools and data.
• Partner on/execute social strategy and plans.
• Inspire high performance.
• Manage for results in a metrics-driven environment.
• Communicate effectively with reporters/producers who are working remotely.
• Identify critical issues, prioritize appropriately and execute quickly.
• Champion diversity in our content, decision making and planning.
• Provide frequent coaching and feedback, and offer opportunities for growth and development.
• Bachelor's degree in journalism or any other subject in a liberal arts field from an accredited institution.
• 7+ years of experience as a digital journalist.
• Experience in music, parenting and food & dining content.
• Direct and indirect people management experience.
• Experience working in industries undergoing substantial change and transformation.
• Demonstrated strong competitive instincts and intellectual curiosity.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively manage and coordinate in an environment of accountability.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Steven serves as a point person of contact with businesses in local markets. He works with partner organizations to determine how USA TODAY can help them be successful.
Back to top