Las Vegas, NV, USA • Nevada, USA Req #18742
Monday, October 4, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
Las Vegas Reporter
The Reno Gazette-Journal/ rgj.com part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, looking for an ambitious, versatile, collaborative reporter to cover major stories out of Las Vegas, with a focus on statewide and federal politics going into the 2022 election.
The reporter will break news and write high-impact enterprise stories for the Reno Gazette Journal's audience and occasionally for a national USA TODAY audience. This reporter will occasionally collaborate with other USA TODAY Network publications such as The Arizona Republic and The Desert Sun.
When you aren't focused on the latest news from the campaign trail, you will capture the biggest stories out of Sin City, be they about the gaming industry, Las Vegas' one-of-a-kind culture, the environment, the housing market, or major breaking news.
Las Vegas is bursting both with breaking news and fascinating stories hidden beneath the surface, and we expect you to be a nimble self-starter who deftly shifts between quick daily stories and longer enterprise and feature reports.
- Identify top news stories that would be relevant to a regional or national audience.
- Cultivate relevant sourcing to tell the biggest stories out of Las Vegas for a regional, statewide or national audience.
- Equally adept at writing breaking news stories or long-form enterprise stories.
- Provide cogent analysis of trends and issues that affect the daily lives of readers.
- Work closely with editors to optimize and produce stories.
- Be open to producing newsletters or podcasts related to stories on the beat.
- Demonstrate strong news judgment informed by real-world experience.
- Bachelor's or master's in communications, Journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2-3 years' reporting experience in a newsroom.
- Familiarity with state and federal politics, state government, economy, culture and key issues.
- Track record of delivering clean, clear, authoritative writing.
- Demonstrated ability to break news and meet deadlines while simultaneously working on enterprise stories.
- Knack for thought scoops and spotting trends that others miss.
- Facility with numbers, data and public records.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Facility for source-building and networking.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- A desire to grow and develop a key beat in our newsrooms.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and drug screen.
- Your resume - one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 5-10 online samples of your work. Show us what you've produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee's race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicant's disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals' application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.'s Recruitment Department at Recruit@gannett.com.