- Nashville, TN
Nashville, TN, USA Req #10393
Tuesday, March 3, 2020
The Tennessean is seeking a talented, energetic writer to join our award-winning local news team in Nashville to cover justice issues in Music City.
The Tennessean's justice reporter will provide breaking news coverage, in-depth enterprise and insightful analysis into what impacts Nashville's criminal justice system. This reporter will have a keen eye for telling these stories through the eyes of people and a focus on watchdog and accountability reporting.In addition to daily coverage of trials and court developments, this reporter should seek to cover broader issues of social justice -- in housing, employment, health, and access to government services.
The successful candidate will have strong entrepreneurial skills and three to five years of experience and a passion for storytelling across an array of digital and social media platforms.
In this role, you will:
- Serve as the justice issues reporter for The Tennessean covering Nashville's criminal justice system;
- Act as a public ambassador through community outreach and connect with readers through social media;
- Use live video to spotlight breaking news and high interest events;
- Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues. Produce watchdog journalism that leads to change;
- Use real-time metrics to respond to user demand and reader interest;
- Work with newsroom leaders to shape storytelling to meet audience needs and interests on every platform;
- Contribute to the community's greater good through impactful journalism.
Here's what you need:
- Bachelor's degree in journalism or related field;
- Experience working for an online-only news website, newspaper or magazine;
- Solid communication and time management skills;
- Experience or knowledge of video production and editing;
- Must be able to work well on deadline;
- A valid driver's license with reliable transportation is also required;
- Please include a variety of clips - no more than six - showing beat reporting and enterprise on different digital platforms.
Application Instructions: Your updated resume, paired with a cover letter and links to your samples of work will ensure you receive the highest consideration. Please combine these materials into a single document, as our application only allows for one document upload.
About USA Today Network - Tennessee:
We are part of Gannett and the USA TODAY NETWORK and among its fastest growing digital news groups. We are an energetic and fast-paced media company with a news team committed to covering Tennessee and beyond. If you're looking for a rewarding challenge, the USA Today Network-Tennessee is among the fastest growing digital news sites and the place to be!
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Back to top