The Jackson Sun in Jackson, Tenn., is seeking an Editor/Reporter to oversee editorial operations and handle high-level reporting at this USA TODAY Network website and daily newspaper.
The Editor/Reporter, the primary editor at the location, schedules and directs the editorial staff to create storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences on multiple platforms. The Editor/Reporter works toward making the news operation the community's leading voice and connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, community leadership, etc.) The Editor/Reporter works with the regional content strategists and audience analysts to evaluate what's working and what's not, and develops ongoing plans with the staff to meet and exceed audience needs.
Typical job duties:
- Decides what stories and topics will be covered by the news operation.
- Supervises, directs and schedules site reporters.
- Develops and maintains daily, weekly and monthly local coverage plans.
- Provides quality content, including articles, photos, videos and graphics.
- Represents the newspaper to the community.
- Completes administrative duties within the news department.
- Coordinates with freelancers and maintains freelance budget.
- Coordinates the publication of contributed content.
- Works with fellow members of the USA TODAY Network to collaborate and share content.
- Works with the Digital Optimization Team to coordinate online presentation.
- Works with the Print Planner to coordinate print presentation.
- Writes editorials or commentary as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Maintains confidentiality regarding personnel, financial and competitive matters.
- Provides great customer service.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications or equivalent in experience and education.
- Five years' experience developing a personal brand through reporting or editing across online or print, plus social media platforms.
- Experience with advanced storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
Knowledge of social media and customer feedback tools, including how to respond and engage customers on digital platforms in the public space, is essential. A strong candidate should also have working knowledge of audience analytic tools such as Omniture, Chartbeat, Facebook Insights, Twitter Analytics and Google Analytics and will have the ability to interpret and apply such data.
Exceptional journalism, planning and organizational skills, with the ability to multi-task and excel under deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment are core talents for this position. Candidates must be self-motivated and self-directed. Candidates must have the ability to work with diverse personalities, embrace peer-to-peer feedback and training, both as teacher and student. It is important that the right candidate be able to work collaboratively within a cross-functional environment and apply innovative, creative thinking to support the company's goals. Outstanding writing, spelling and grammar skills, plus knowledge of AP Style, are a must, along with a command of media law and principles of ethical conduct. In addition, candidates must have proficiency in the MS Office suite and have CMS publishing skills.
Gannett provides a great work environment with a number of benefits to include medical, dental, vision insurance; 401k plan; paid vacation, along with a number of additional benefits. Qualified candidates should include a cover letter, resume and salary requirements when applying. Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer drug screen.
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
Connect with us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Glassdoor, Indeed & The Muse to learn more about our dynamic company culture!
Meet Some of USA TODAY NETWORK's Employees
Project Manager, People Division
Jade helps streamline operations while keeping tabs on company culture. Her role goes beyond transactional tasks and includes social engagement and Human Resources communication.
Back to top